Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 11-01-2000, 06:19 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I heard this today, I am not sure how true it is so don't get your hopes up.

Ford is currently developing a 6.X diesel engine, many people have said this engine would be the replacement for the 7.3. However I have heard today, this engine is a "baby" powerstroke, designed for the F-150 and Expedition. The 7.3 will still be used in the Super Duties.

Again these are only rumors, I am not sure if Ford plans to keep the Powerstorke (Navistar 444-E) or use a smaller Powerstroke in the Superduties, and the F 150 and expedition may never see Diesel.

Geoff
Old 11-01-2000, 08:53 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

From what i have heard the 6.0 is the replacement for the 7.3PS.Notice I didnt say pos. Anyway, they are also developing a smaller diesel for the applications you mentioned. Seems as epa gives tighter guidlines for gas engines, diesel is considered as an alternantive fuel source.
So as time goes on you will see more auto makers offering diesel in different product lines.
Geoof you should really check out http://www.forddiesel.com
They will have alot of this info available for you.
Not to beat a dead horse, but the new duramax is in some way what has motivated the developement of the new 6.0. Also epa is making diesels exaust to much tougher constraints, along with reclassifing trucks to more stringent pollution controls. So the old T444E just isnt able to meet these requirements. Thus a new engine is being developed. Also I hear that ford loses around 2K per power stroke option on every truck they sell, so they are trying to work a better deal with INT on this new engine, by footing alot of the developement costs.
Dino

[Edited by plowking35 on 11-02-2000 at 02:00 AM]
Old 11-01-2000, 08:55 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Dino, thanks for the website, been reading it for almost a year now. I make sure my engines get the additive every 15K.

I really hope the 6.0 is for the F 150, Long live the all mighty 7.3. I almost cried when the 306 and 351 died.

Geoff
Old 11-01-2000, 09:38 PM
LawnSite Member

Geoff:

I believe that the 6 liter will be put in the super duties. I have also heard that it is going to be a camless engines with electronically operated valves (although it won't be introduced as camless for a few years after it is out). The little diesel you talk about will be a baby to the 6 liter. It will be 4.5 liters and be put in the F150 and Expedition.

Ford is also developing a new 5R110 Auto Trans.

Eric
Old 11-01-2000, 09:45 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I just went to my GM diesel site,(funny how you can get the ford info on a gm member site) and the baby PS will be a v-6 for the 150 and expedition, and maybe even the ranger. I am surprised that the ford site doesnt have more info for you blue oval guys, the GM site has had info on the duramax for over 2 yrs now. Guess thats just one more thing that gm does better.(I know that was uncalled for, but I couldnt resist)
Dino
Old 11-01-2000, 09:53 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

So, Dino whats the address? I don't mind reading about some GMs to get the dirt on a real truck. Are you saying the 6.X is for the F 150, Expedition, and maybe the ranger? Or are you talking about a different motor all together? Never mind, just give me the address.

Geoff
Old 11-01-2000, 10:02 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

http://www.62-65-dieselpage follow the forum link
The 6.0 is for the 250 and up line. I dont know if it will affect the 550 or not. GVW means alot to the epa on emmissions.
Then there will be a smaller v-6 diesel for the 150 and so on.
Old 11-02-2000, 04:42 PM
LawnSite Member

New Powerstroke

Geoff,

The info I have heard is same as Dino. The 6.x will replace the 7.3 in the Ford SD's. A smaller version is slated for the lighter trucks. The EPA is puttin pressure on the diesels, causing the new designs coming out. You might want to hold on to your 7.3's

This is why Cummins went to electronic fuel control a couple of years ago, and I'm sure they will have to change more.

And only time will tell how good the new Duramax is. I hear it's rated for 200k miles, sound right Dino?

Dave
Old 11-02-2000, 04:52 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I read about the nex 6.0, on blue oval news http://www.blueovalnews.com

They are expecting increased HP and better millage on the new powerstrok. They also have a new R5100 trans in work, which is going to be better thant he current R100.

Geoff
Old 11-02-2000, 07:42 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

From what I understand that rating is used for medium duty platforms only. It is a yest that rates the % of engines still running at that mileage.I think the quota is 90% still running at 200K in a meduim duty platform. For the record the T444E is rated at 200K and the cummins is rated like 400K. So the rating is similar to what we see with the current engines from INT and ford. Now in a light duty platform such as pick ups and small c&c that rating is much higher. What we finally see now is all three using medium duty engines in light duty applications, where as before gm used a light duty engine in a light duty truck.
Where GM has finally exceeded the others is with an entire drivetrain (read tranny) that can handle the power from the engines.
Dodge I hear will have the allison in the 2003 model year,but I guess ford has decided to stay on their own. I have to ask that if the allison is the tranny of choice for the 650/750's then why wont they bite the bullet and install in the 250-550? My guess is that they are already over paying for the PS and dont want to lose more money with an outsourced tranny to boot.
Dino