Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 06-18-2000, 12:18 AM
LawnSite Member

Here in Wyoming it's illegal to hire anyone under the age of 18 to operate power equipment. I'm sure this must be true in most other states as well. If you are bothered by underaged competition you can make good use of this information.<p>----------<br>I get them bad old lawnmowin' blues<br>when I get dog poop on my shoes<br><p><font size="1">Edited by: Samurai WeedWacker
Old 06-18-2000, 03:06 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Yeah, Ive heard of that, but what do they consider operating equipment?? Figure this out, they can drive a car/truck but they cant drive a ZTR!! Thats our Gov't for ya!!<p>I was thinking, when I was 16 and LEGALLY operating my biz, &quot;they&quot; had no problem taking my 16 year old tax dollars!! &quot;they&quot; also had no problem taking my quarterly check to cover my liability and truck insurance. They had no problem taking my checks for commercial reg. for my trucks. Who knows? Theres nothing wrong in my eyes with a youngster getting into the biz, its the ones that think its a quick buck and plan on pulling their craftsman mower around on their mom's station wagon. Or even worse, the one where daddy buys that $50,000 woth of equip and they still mess up!! I don't know!<p>----------<br>&lt;a href=&quot;http://communities.msn.com/guidosequipmentpics/&quot;&gt;&quot;Guido&quot;&lt;/a&gt;<br>David M. Famiglietti<br><p><font size="1">Edited by: guido
Old 06-18-2000, 06:45 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

its not really a big deal until the minor gets hurt, then you will see the flak start to burst.<p>Bill
Old 06-18-2000, 07:49 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

I think they can work, just not operate a mower. As far as trimming and blowing, should be safer than working around a hot pan of grease!<p>Homer
Old 06-18-2000, 08:47 AM
LawnSite Member

In Michigan, you can legally hire people under 18 years of age. The limitation: they can not operate equipment with more than 19 horsepower. Who the heck determined that???<p>gus
Old 06-18-2000, 09:36 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

I'd love to meet these guys that make these ass backwards laws. Like I said before, all you have to do is step back and look......hmmmmm they can drive a 100HP car but no way they're getting on that 21 HP LAWN MOWER, oh no, they could cause damage to that little elf on old lady Mulligans front lawn!! A lot more human loss is at risk driving an automobile then cutting grass. Just our opinions though, We're not the bigshots!<p>----------<br>&lt;a href=&quot;http://communities.msn.com/guidosequipmentpics/&quot;&gt;&quot;Guido&quot;&lt;/a&gt;<br>David M. Famiglietti
Old 06-18-2000, 09:37 AM
LawnSite Member

I would like to know where you FOUND someone to work under tha age of 18 Here mom and dad just give them money
Old 06-18-2000, 11:22 AM

Yep there was an AP story in to days paper. Its very hard to find young people to work. Can't even fill the lifeguard jobs in jersey. Most kids parents during todays hot economy are having kids take courses to get them ahead in school. Or career oriented school courses in the summer. Ma and Pa have plenty of mula to give to the kids so they dont have to work. I was born way too early
Old 06-18-2000, 12:14 PM
LawnSite Member

I'm 16...and i'll be damned if the Gov't trys to stop me...they sure have enjoyed my money the past 3 years...and i have 3 commercial accounts and 1 gov job so if they have a prob with teenagers they sure haven't shown me! I and licensed, Insured and only once has anyone had a concern about the age.... IMHO if you can....then do it
Old 06-18-2000, 07:03 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

At 18 can serve our country and possible loss of life...cant consume an alcoholic beverage until 21. That should motivate an 18 year old to vote.<p>When I was 16 -17 you wouldnt want me running your equipment, if I showed up of course.