Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 02-02-2004, 10:32 PM
LawnSite Member

new in the green biz

hello,i'am new in biz just as a part time,started last july just doing the basic work; mowing,edging,weedeating and bagging and of course blowing,neat jobs that customers where so happy that they recomend me with more people,the bad thing is the equipment i had; like the 21 yardman push mower,the true cut push edger,the homelite bp blower,and my broom and God only know what i suffer pushing that mower trying to make a living hard work fellas.by the end of the season i had a 33 troy built self propel,a 21 honda selfpropel,a shindawa weedeater, and a redmax blower a 6 x 12 open trailer and 12 clients biz pay for all that i'm just put my heart to it.This year looks diferent; comercial equipment,license,insured, and i hope to get 25 customers, have to make some flyers word of mouth is been helping me a lot but i want to be kind of profesional and make biz cards too. i only drop the gate for $35 and up i think i am doing ok as far as know,i would like to have some opinions from ya, or some missing points i have they will help me built my biz up faster. THANKS FOR READING remember there is plenty of green cake for everybody.
Old 02-02-2004, 11:05 PM
LawnSite Member

Hey Zima, sounds like your on the right track, as a new guy to the biz, the guys here on lawnsite are a blessing. the first thing I am going to tell you the rest of the guys are going to hammer home to you.. You will need to upgrage your equipment. I don't know what your finances are. but you will need to look into getting a 36" walkbehind with sulky. or if you can get a 52" Ztr(rider) , Exmark, Hustler, andScag, seem to be the top choices here on Lawnsite, they can get expensive ranging anywhere from $3,000 for the 36" wb to over $10,000 for the ztr's, the decks range in sizes from 36" to 72" , though these machines are expensive they will more then make up for it with cutting down your time. you will be able to do 10 - 20 properties per day vs the couple you do with your 21". you will become way more efficient and your potential for profit will jump thru the roof. Your worth ethics and quality seem to be in place. Once you upgrade your equipment you will do very well. I will be starting this season. I plan on starting with at least the 36" or 48" exmark wb, the equipment of choice for blowers, trimmers and edjers, seem to be redmax, Shindawa, Stihl and Echo in about that order. the senior guys here at lawnsite will have invaluable information to pass on to you regarding the growth and expansion of your business, take everything thay say and run with it.. good luck. We also have a Network forum for Atlanta. if you look under the network with people in your area. then go to the atlanta forum. their are some people i know who are in roswell right next door to you, I myself am in conyers Ga, which is about 25 miles east of the Metro-Atlanta Area.. you have any specific questions that are state specific don't hesistate to ask us..

Snapper 21"Wb
Shindawa T230 edjer
Shindawa T230 Trimmer
Shindawa Blower 630
Troy-bilt trimmer
6x12 trailer with cage
Old 02-04-2004, 07:16 PM
LawnSite Member

Thank you for the information SIRCAESAR, i am learning a lot of this site which be real helpfull to the biz.
Old 02-04-2004, 07:48 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

welcome to the site. I hope that you learn and absurb a lot of information
Old 02-04-2004, 07:58 PM
LawnSite Member

Time is money. You have to spend money to increase productivity. If your yards are small, a walk behind would be great. You can add a sulky for larger yards. 36" for the gates. I prfer a Hydro over gear or belt drive but everyone has their own opinion. Check at your local dealer, you may find a good deal on some demos from last year or some leftovers. I talked to a dealer here today on a 36 belt drive Toro that is brand new from last year. It's still in the box for $1900. I bought my Gravely 48" Hydro with 18 hours for $3,000. It's a $5K mower. Good luck.
Stihl BR420C Backpack
Stihl FS85 Trimmer
6.5X12 open trailer with ramp
6.5X16 open trailer with ramp and side gate
Old 02-04-2004, 08:10 PM
LawnSite Member

Welcome to the site Zima, I am new to the site as well, and have spent plenty of time already absorbing everything in. One tip that I have for you is an obvious one but I learned it the hard way, only target specific areas, don't have 1 yard here and 1 yard 5 miles away. The close they are, the less time you have to drive, spend on gas, loading and unloading, etc...

I did that for a while because i wanted every lawn i could get when i first started (this was my fourth year this past year), but now, i am only taking on jobs if 1)they are in a designated area that i've set for myself or 2) At least 3 or more clients hire me on in the new area.

Also, thanks to everyone so far for posting stories and info, its great!

www.grlandscaping.net