Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 11-08-2000, 03:35 PM
LawnSite Member

I have 5 large Azaleas about 15 years old that have a heavy infestion of lace bug eggs on the underside of leaves. They have discolored the plant to a tanish color.

I did treat these azaleas with Talstar at the begining of the season. Three applications in spring and summer.

Now it is Novemeber in Zone 6 and I am concerned on these plants living. What should I do? Also what should I tell the customer, since I have been treating them for one season now.
Old 11-08-2000, 04:25 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Lace Bugs

Here's what I did with the Lace bugs on my Azaleas. I used Orthene at the recommened rate. Then 6 weeks later I sprayed again. After the bugs were under control and the color was comming back in the Azalea, I fertilized the plants 2 times. The plants look great now! You didn't say if the color is back in your plants. If it is their probably fine.

If you choked a Smurf, what color would it turn?

I'd give my right hand , if I could be ambidextrous!
Old 11-08-2000, 05:35 PM
LawnSite Member

Lace Bug

Machine, Bob is correct oOrthene will be your best choice to control this pest. Just in case you dodn't know this pest is on the underside of the laef area and is quite difficult to control with a contact insecticide like Bifentrin(Talstar). Orthene is an systemic and will translocate through the plant and do a great job. Good scouting will tell you when to begin your treatments next year. Iam asumming youre not to far off from us in Ohio in spring weather. I would begin treatments in mid May. And treat every 4-6 weeks to the plant pushes new green laeves.
If this is maintenance account or you are there at least oncea month I would do at no charge for a season. Try to something else on the property when doing this and hide the cost in another service ie. like bed work or pruning. You can spray with a hand can or a back pack sprayer and get at least 30 day control.
Old 11-08-2000, 05:56 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks for the advice, would you recomend spraying a Dormant Oil to kill the eggs before the winter and then proceed with Orthene in May.
Old 11-08-2000, 06:17 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I would spray a dormant oil this winter,I'm not familiar with talstar but you may have controlled them already unless you're seeing new damage. Azaleas don't shed their leaves too much so the tan color will be there until those leaves shed. Fertilize them after bloom and check again month or so later. If they're planted in full sun tell your customer to always expect to have problems.

[Edited by Toddppm on 11-08-2000 at 11:22 PM]
Old 11-08-2000, 08:36 PM
LawnSite Member

lace bug

No I wouldnt apply a dormant oil because the pest is on the underside of the leaf the oil will only coat the top layer of leaf and stem and staulk. I have applied material at high pressure and was able disturb the leaves enough to get some material on the underside or you can use a special wand to apply to the underside. I think the Orthene is your best bet. You'll have them controlled in no time if you
start early.
Toddpp note that oils should be only applied when air temperatures are above freezing (daytime) and the material
has ample time to dry before night time freezing temps.
Old 11-08-2000, 08:55 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Just wondering what's so hard about spraying the undersides of leaves on azaleas? Not like they're 20 ft. tall? Spreader sticker? Not trying to be a smarta@@
Old 11-08-2000, 09:01 PM
LawnSite Member

oil

as noted a special wand can be used to apply oil, it is a good start but not the whole solution
Old 11-08-2000, 09:33 PM
LawnSite Member

Don't count on any great control from oil. Lace bugs can over winter as both adult and egg. Why bother with oil when they are so easy to control. Orthene is a contact with systemic proprties, you need to spray the underside of the leaves. Monitor the plants for early activity in the spring and treat when they appear. Make sure you're not confusing excrement with eggs. Also, if the plants are in the shade where they want to be there will be very little Lace bug activity. If you must plant Azaleas in the full sun use varities that are more resistant to Lace Bug. Eric
Old 11-08-2000, 10:02 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Good point that I left out ,Eric. I sprayed the underside leaves the best I could. I pretty much drenched the plant.

If you choked a Smurf, what color would it turn?

I'd give my right hand , if I could be ambidextrous!