Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-02-2004, 05:15 PM
LawnSite Member

cemetary bid

I am new to the business and am going to bid on a cemetary in a couple of days. Does anyone have an example of a bid that could give me some idea on how to write it up?
Old 03-03-2004, 04:11 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Are you sure that the Cemetery doesn't already have a bid sheet printed? Any that I have bid on provide one due to all of the specifications that they require. Then all you do is fill in the blank with your price.
Old 03-03-2004, 04:26 PM
LawnSite Member

I don't think so. This cemetery belongs to a local catholic church and I believe a member has been mowing it. After reading other post's I'm not so sure I want this job but being new I guess I will have to start somewhere.
Old 03-03-2004, 04:42 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Cemetery's usually pay good, but there is a lot of liability concerns to think about. Any damage to headstones that you cause would be paid by you to the family. They usually also have restrictions concerning wet grass being blown onto the stones, when to mow, etc.
Old 03-03-2004, 10:30 PM
Banned

cemeterys can be profitable. I just started out last year and that is how I got my start. You will have to walk it and then walk it again. Go with your gut insticnt. When I first bidded the one we mow I came up with a pretty high price. I thought that I was way high, and was afraid of not getting the bid. So I dropped my bid and low and behold we got the bid. And of course as the summer went on I found out the hard way I was a little low. But now I have made up for it this year, as we got the contract this year as the cemetery was not even put out on bids. So just really think about it , If you have any idea as far as mowing times go as well as trimming I think that you will do ok. Our cemetery we mow every week and trim every other week.If you do get the bid and are low, dont get fusterated. Just work hard and do good work I am sure they would have you back. I know this aint the type of reply that you wanted but I thought that I would share my screwup, which in return turned out great!!!
Old 03-09-2004, 12:38 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

A Cemetery is a good account to have. Not only for lawn, but any other needs that they may need on there grounds. The best part is the locals don't talk back,lol . They keep to them selfs and let you work..
Old 03-11-2004, 09:20 AM
LawnSite Member

There is a good article in this month's (March, 04) Lawn & Landscape magazine regarding cemetary bids. You may find it on their website www.lawnandlandscape.com.

Cemetaries, and churches for that matter, could be hell to service. Older, esp. historic cemetaries, can be physically tough as graves have sunk, aisles between headstones are too small for anything but a trimmer. Churches are tough if they hold a good deal of community meetings or activities.

When you're under the gun, it's hard when you show up to provide service and you've got a girlscout troop playing on the front lawn - for the fourth day in a row.

On the other hand, smaller country churches can be great. Enjoyable, peaceful, beautiful surroundings, nice clients. Low activity.

Try to anticipate any problem you might encounter, physically and logistically. Go for it, but be realistic.

Cemetaries can be great training grounds for maintenance. I started by using my small push mower because I was too afraid to bring out the heavy equipment and cause any damage. I now, two years later, use my 48" walk behind with a ride-along velke in fourth gear. It works, although you may find yourself in some unique yoga poses trying to weave in and out of obstacles.