Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-15-2004, 01:10 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Getting out of the yard business! Ive had enough

Hello, how is everyone? Just wanted to share quick rant. Ive been doing yards for almost 5 years and it took me till last year to even build it up yp 24 (welcome to waycross, Ga.) Im now down to 8 yards total. What happened was I had 12 customers to move, 2 passed away and and 2 decided to get soeone cheaper. like 10 to 15 dollars a yard. All of my yards are residentual and no contracts. From Dec till Feb. I have about starved to death. Have not averaged a 100 bucks a week! I talked to several other lco and they said they tell all there customers that when they do a yard its year round. I do not have OBE customer that will go for that in the 4 month winter period. Iknow I need better customers but have not been able to get them. I do yards in the sommer every 2 weeks and it should be every 10 days and my customers dont want it done that often. All the good customers are taken and Ive got the trash no one else wants. I really like what I do and really feel like a big failure. I have a excellent reputation so where did I go wrong? I read one post here about a person that was thinking about giving up a 60,000 dollar a year job to do this. Geez if someone offers me a job tommorow for 20,000 I would be exstatic!! Ive got to ask my dad tommorow for some help I cant even make my ZTR payment due tuesday and another loan due tommorow. In my 45 years Ive never asked for money help but Im about to get in trouble. Im very humiliated. I guess tommorow I will be going to wal-mart or flash foods and applying for a 5.15 an hour job. Gee now I really feel good about myself. Good luck to all you folks who have done well at it but I failed miserably. Thanks for the rant but I still dont feel no better.

Danny
PS anybody in south Ga need some good lawn equipment, maybe youll have better luck at it than I did.
echo hedge clippers
echo long pole hedge clippers
Redmax weedeater
echo 650 BP blower
6 x 16 trailer
5 x 8 trailor
2001 Chevy LS Silverado
Polaris Sportsman 500 AWD ATV
last but not least, TWINS!
Old 03-15-2004, 01:17 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Sorry for all the misspelled words, typed it in anger after wife told me to sell all my equipment and get a real job. Am sending my cyclone rake back tommorow for full refund, just under the 30 day guarantee.
echo hedge clippers
Redmax weedeater
echo 650 BP blower
6 x 16 trailer
5 x 8 trailor
2001 Chevy LS Silverado
Old 03-15-2004, 04:25 AM
LawnSite Member

That sucks! I feel your pain. Maybe you can do this part-time along with something else until you replace those customers. Remember it is spring now, things will get better real soon.
Old 03-15-2004, 06:48 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

hang in there spring is here and maybe something will come your way, wish you the best of luck

Old 03-15-2004, 08:37 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Nothing like looking death in the face and seeing just how bad it can be. I know that you weren't looking for advice but let me try to give you some any way. Use your anger to drive yourself to work as hard as you can to get even more customers this season. Don't work twice as hard, work 10 times as hard. Go pass out fliers every day talk to people, ask the remaining customers if they know someone who needs a service.

Don't give up now you have made it through the winter and spring is here!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 03-15-2004, 10:00 AM
LawnSite Member

Danny;
DONT SELL YOUR EQUIPTMENT! DONT GET OUT OF THE BUSINESS.
You are just in a slump. All successful men failed at first. Hang in there. Keep on trying. You can always find some other yards to mow. Go to a dirrerent part of the area. Just dont give up!!If you want to get rid of something, get rid of your wife! It sounds like she does not stand behind her man in low times.
SER.
Old 03-15-2004, 10:01 AM
LawnSite Member

Danny;
Different.
Old 03-15-2004, 11:21 AM
LawnSite Member

Wow u sound real bad .. I have to say that maybe your not marketing your business right.. 10-15.00 per cut is not very much.. have u looked at your local munciaplites like your park district or for the city.. we have just signed or third contract with our local park dist, for 5 years. Its worth 56,000 for 26 cuts. do u contact realators. condo assoc. and get in high end residential.
good luck ..
Old 03-15-2004, 12:07 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Hello.thanks for the replys. Yes Im glad spring is here but with 8 yards left dont feel real excited. Our are is so over saturated with lawn care people that getting a decent yard is very very hard. I have not picked up one new yard in over a year but d%$$mn if I cant loose 16 real fast. I lost all these is a 2 month period. wiped out about 1200 a month and thats a lot of doe when your a one man show. I did try for some other govt contracts, (see my other thread :need help fast on bidding on huge appartment complex" and the person that was doing it was so cheap could not even come close. SER you are right about my wife nothing I do has ever been good enough but thats another story for another forum. Along with my miserabe job have to come home to a miserable marriage. I guess the final straw came yesterday when I went to church and prayed for some new customers then the pastor whom Ive been mowing their yard for 5 years called me aside and told me he had got a push mower got 30 bucks was going to star doing it himself and he knows what a hard time Im having. BTW new pastor not the older one we had before. I walked out and mumbled to myself "thanks alot God" Im sorry should not have said that but really felt rained on LOL
echo hedge clippers
Redmax weedeater
echo 650 BP blower
6 x 16 trailer
5 x 8 trailor
2001 Chevy LS Silverado
Old 03-15-2004, 05:15 PM
LawnSite Member

Hang in there due! Be persisstant. Check with local developers,Management co. , what about flyers, or door to door. give it a real try before you throw in the towel.