Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-30-2004, 09:28 PM
LawnSite Member

Older Bunton / Beyers Gold Questions

Last year I bought a used Beyers Gold 48" commercial mower. I got it from an individual that bought it new and used it just to cut his own grass (he had a couple of acres). I have a little over an acre myself. I beleive that Beyers Gold is just a "copycat" of the Bunton.

It has a 48" flat front deck with 14 HP Kohler engine. It also has the Dalton Gear transmission and dual cog type drive belts on each wheel.

I have always walked with the mower so I have always had it in the lowest gear. Well I bought a sulky and tried to speed up, but no matter where I put the speed lever it does not pick up speed. (it has 7 positions on the gear lever (no reverse)). The only thing I did notice is that when I was on an up slope in 7th gear the mower would stop going. The engine would not bog down it would just stop moving. The transmission was still turning but the wheels weren't. I did notce that the belt guides (pieces of "L" bracket are rubbing all four drive belts, should they be like this? The belts have actually worn grooves in the brackets.

My other questions are:

1 - Since the mower stopped moving with the transmisson still turning do I need to replace the drive belts? Should all four be replaced at once?

2 - Why would I not notice any diffence in speed in other gears?

3- I'm not exactly a little person (250+), can I be doing any hard to the transmission/engine by using the sulky?

thanks in advance.

Bob E
Louisville, KY
Old 05-01-2004, 07:44 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

The belt guide should not be rubbing the belts.

Dalton Gear (www.daltongear.com) does not make a transmission that they sell. They will custom make one and apparently that is where Bunton got it.

If the output shafts are turning but the mower is not moving then either the pullies or the belts are worn out.

If it is a variable speed tranny and it only goes one speed regardless of where the selector is then most likely there are clutches that are worn out.

Old 05-03-2004, 08:34 AM
LawnSite Member

I discovered my speed problem. The variable pulley on the engine shaft (it has a good size spring on it) was seized up and the speed adjustment rod was WAY out of adjustment. I lubed up the pulley with WD-40 and put my gear puller on the bottom part and broke it free. And readjusted the speed lever about 20 turns.

Evidently the owner before me knew it didn't work right and just adjusted the lever to where it would run at one speed. By trying to move it to a higher speed the belt would start slipping.

I'm afraid to lube it too much, because I don't' want to get the grease on the belt.

How should I keep this pulley working freely?

I'm also needing drive wheel pulleys and belts for this Byers Gold, does anyone know if the Bunton's are the same? What about the idler pulleys?
Old 05-05-2004, 10:20 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Byers Gold was not anyway affiliated with Bunton. Byers was a new company that went out of business. All of the parts were bought out from Byers by a company called "Landscape Supply". If there are any parts still available this company will have them.