Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 04-30-2004, 10:33 PM
LawnSite Member

converting magnetron to points

How do you convert magnetron to points on a briggs engine. Can you have them both in case if one goes bad?
Points are very cheap from where I live, only $2.50 for the whole set with a flywheel key!
Old 05-01-2004, 08:25 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

You would probably have to find an old Briggs engine to get the parts. I may be wrong but you may also need to switch the crankshaft too since there should be a lobe on it similar to a camshaft lobe that operates the points.

Why would you want to switch from a reliable electronic ignition to points anyway? Briggs has been using the Magnetron since 1981.

Old 05-03-2004, 07:09 PM
LawnSite Member

I cannot stand the prices for new magnetron coils, they are too expensive, they are about $55 to $100. Points are only $2.50!!!!! Besides I have some older briggs engines that have both of them that don't work, good for switching newer engines.
Old 05-03-2004, 07:48 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Like john said the magnetron should last a life time ,unless mice chew the wire off of it ,around here the single cylinder 7-12 hp is only like 40 bucks,oem briggs aftermarket its around 35.00,i would have to look up the one for the twins,and the points here oem briggs are about 7.00 dollars
Old 05-03-2004, 11:08 PM
LawnSite Member

On most Briggs engines (single cyl.) the points acitivate off a plunger acitivated from a (spare) lobe on the cam. The newer blocks are often not drilled for the plunger. In all but rare cases I do not think it would be a cost effective conversion.

The magnatron units should last darn near the life of the engine, most "failures" of them are in an interlock that has hung open (or closed as the case may be). I always check this by disconnecting the kill wire from the magnatron unit and see it you gain spark (then isolate it from there).

I relize you did not ask for a troubleshooting guide, but I hoped it may be of assistance.