Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 05-03-2004, 07:59 AM
LawnSite Member

kohler 16 hp magnum

help please ,om my ariens ht16 my motor kohler magnum twin vert. 16 hp.there is a ticking on 1 of my cylinders .i was told it was the valve seat that came loose. i was told that these cant be peplaced and i need a new motor.... is this true? the mech. didnt look at my machine he is going by what i told him.that 1 cylender the plug has more carbon than the other and ticks.
Old 05-03-2004, 11:08 AM
LawnSite Member

Before you panic, find the cause of the tick. Ticking can be caused by any number of things including a worn valve guide. Remove the head and check the seats and guides. With the head off you can rotate the engine till the valve opens. If you can move the valve back and forth too much, the guide is shot. In a worst case you will only need a new cylinder rather than engine. Replacement seats are available and are slightly larger than the original. If the pocket is in good shape you can simply install a new seat. Guides are replaceable as well.
Sometimes guides just wear out but seats don't usually come out unless the engine is overheated. When you remove the shrouds, check for packed in debris around the cooling fins.
Old 05-03-2004, 10:32 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Could be just carbon deposites on piston and head too.
Old 05-03-2004, 10:48 PM
LawnSite Member

i did run some carbon deposit cleaner in it do to the fact that this mower hasn't been run in years and it did clean up the carbon issue,but i still here a slight ticking.are these valves adjustable?
Old 05-06-2004, 01:59 PM
LawnSite Member

The tappet clearance can be adjusted but I suggest taking it to someone that has a "Soiux" valve grinder on equivilant. Its not something that can be done with a couple wrenches and a feeler gage.