Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 05-27-2004, 10:44 PM
LawnSite Member

Blades for John Deere

I hope I'm not thrown out of this site since I'm not a landscaping professional, but I find it helpful to learn from the pros instead of trial and error. With that said, I heard so many professionals praising the Gator blades that I had to get some for myself. I purchased the recommended Gator blades for my L110 John Deere tractor and couldn't wait to try them out. I installed them properly (fin side up), installed the mulching plug and started mulching away, or so I thought. To make a long story short, these blades left grass clipping on top of the lawn no matter how slow I traveled. Since my grass had grown taller than usual, I thought that the poor mulching was due to the grass height. I tested my theory by switching back to the OEM blades and began cutting the other half of my lawn. The OEM blades mulched the grass perfectly, even with the tractor traveling at 5 mph. Am I missing something? I used the model of Gator blades specified for my tractor by Oregon, but maybe they were never field tested on the tractor.
Old 05-28-2004, 04:32 PM
Sponsor

Sir,

The real benefit of a Gator blade is that you can mulch and dscharge at the same time. I suspect that your performance with the Gators will improve a great deal if you unplug your deck. You should find that in good dry conditions the clippings are very fine and you are still discharging which should allow the mower to perform better.
Old 05-30-2004, 03:11 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks for the reply, I'll try it.
Old 06-30-2004, 11:38 AM
Banned

rjohns, how did your test with the gator blades turn out? I bought a 110 for doing our own yard and thought about buying a set for it.

Where did you buy them?

I tried calling all of the online dealers and couldn't find one that knew anything about the part number for the L110 (91-476)

I tried emailing Oregon a few times and they won't sell one directly. They gave me a link to an online dealer they said would take care of me...I called them and they didn't find the number either.

I'm thinking about trying a meg-mo