Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 06-21-2004, 11:04 PM
LawnSite Member

Equipment

Hello, new to the site. But...here we go. I have been self employed since I was 20, and been successfull. My newest venture is going to be lawn service. I have a pretty basic and important question. For someone starting out, what sort of equipment do you need, how many, what name brand, riding 0's, walk behinds...what do you guys recommend and why?

Thank you.
Old 06-22-2004, 10:16 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

You pretty much seem to understand what you need.
All I'm gonna say is buy a good commercial name on all equipment with good dealer support and get liability insurance.
Old 06-23-2004, 09:18 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

String trimmer-- mower--blower. Don't buy homeowner stuff. Stay out of Lowes and Home Depot.
I started with a 48" belt drive WB but I wish I had gotten a hydro.
A 48" and a 21" will cut a lot of properties but you have to know you area and what will fit. If you have a lot of gates and small lots than maybe a 36 is all that you will need to start. Start off with as little as you need and add as you get the work. I used the 48 as my only mower for 2 years(and the 21) until I had the work to pay for the Z (and the job size) I now have the 48" a 36" a 60" Z and 2 21". Am looking at a 52" hydro now as we got the work to keep it busy. Remember, a mower that is on the trailer is costing you money, NOT making you money.
Old 06-23-2004, 11:48 PM
LawnSite Member

Well...

As with any business, its not what you know, it's who you know. I have a friend that is giving me a 82 condo complex, and another that will give me 20 gas stations. I am going with all John Deere as I have a friend that works at one, and a Cousin that owns one of the largest in my area. Believe it or not, my friend who works at a completely seperate one is giving me a better deal...however, service is awesome with my cousins.

You guys think I am insane for offering 1 free airation a year? I mean, all I need to do is pull an attachment as I mow....

Nick
Old 06-24-2004, 03:21 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Well...

That makes it a little easier as you know the size lots that you will be working with. Go with the biggest deck that will fit on the properties and be the most productive.
Get your friend to let you demo the different units and see what works best.
Aeration for free!!! That is one of the best money makers so don't give it away. If you are planing to "PULL" , What are you using. If it is one of those $200.00 dollar trailer thinks you buy at lowes than sure give it as it does not do much anyway. If you are using a real aerator than you have to charge as it is rough on equipment and you have to pay for the machine.
Also if the lots have irrigation you will have a hard time mowing as you pull because you have to go around the heads. Good luck.
Old 06-25-2004, 09:13 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

The following things are absolutely nessicary: (I own the following plus a lot more equipment)

Mower- Bob-Cat 48" w/15 HP Kawi engine, belt drive, (walk behind) w/ Grass Gobbler catcher.

Blower- Back pack- Stihl BR 320 Walk behind- Little Wonder 10 HP.

String Trimmer- Red Max BCZ2600S.

All of the items listed above are really great, and I love them all!!!!!!!!!