Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 01-07-2001, 06:09 PM
LawnSite Member

i am having trouble getting the 350 i have just rebuilt to start. it turns over and everything and it is getting spark but it just dosent wanna start. could some one help with some advice?
Old 01-07-2001, 06:52 PM
LawnSite Member

Not many details to go by! Did you put the distributor in right? Not 180 degrees off. TDC #1 cyl _COMPRESSION_ stroke, rotor has to point to #1 ign wire. Its real common to get it 180 off so check it out.

Regards, Larry
Old 01-07-2001, 10:21 PM
LawnSite Member

no i checked all that it seems to be alright i did how ever have the valve lifters tightened down to far, i think that was part of the reason. i checked the push rods and there not bentso i just dont know whats wrong
Old 01-08-2001, 10:32 AM
LawnSite Member

Well, do you have compression? Did you rebuild it or get a rebuilt? Were the lifters filled with oil or not? More details required to get more than gueses from me.

Regards, Larry
Old 01-08-2001, 01:49 PM
LawnSite Member

im sorry if im not putting a lot of detail in my posts as im still kinda new at this sort of stuff. but to awnser your questions yes the rods had oil in them, rebuilt the engine myself and as far as i know i have plenty of compression. if you need to know more just let me know and ill try to give you what i know.

thank you for being patient with me
Old 01-09-2001, 01:10 AM
LawnSite Member

You write "as far as I know I have compression". That is not a good enough answer. Put a compression gauge in #1 cyl and crank the motor.Tell us what reading you get. Then we can proceed from there. I cannot continue to guess at what you might have done wrong( there are too many possible reasons) so we need to do this step by step. Also, did you install the timing chain and gears correctly? Tell us how you had the marks lined up. Any motor only needs 3 items to run: compression, fuel, and spark. Of course, they have to be happenning at the correct time to make it run. Does it backfire at all or do anything to make you think its even trying to fire? Details, Details, Details!! I am not trying to be a A$$ about this; I am trying to help you. But, I need specific answers to questions in order to do this.I am a mechanic with over 20 yrs experience ( among other things I am) so have seen a lot of DIY projects gone wrong. So if you truly want help from a forum like this, you need to state exactly what is going on. There are others who read this that can help also, but they need details too.

Regards, Larry
Old 01-09-2001, 01:24 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

First off,I bet you installed the valvecovers upside down,you'll know because the rockers will have dented the covers in all 16 spots.Did that myself once,2nd,pre-lube it dude,and i bet the distributor isnt in right,if its got spark,compression,fuel is there,and timing only has to be with 15 degrees or so and it will fire.Does it even kick back or backfire thru the carb?Pull a spark plug,see if you fouled them from pumping it to much,they might be fouled by now,and you'll need another set to get it going.
Old 01-09-2001, 01:32 AM
LawnSite Member

John, youre right! The dist is in wrong ( thats all I hope ) ! How to tell him that without showing him is difficult.

Regards, Larry
Old 01-09-2001, 01:47 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

ok,to find TDC on the compression stroke-disable or ground ignition coil,pull #1 spark plug,have helper crank engine ,stick your finger over the hole of #1 cyl,not in the hole,with helper "bumping the starter"slowly,you will feel the pressure building under your finger,pushing out the compression,when this happens-stop .No more cranking,now stick a thin screwdriver in the plug hole and have helper turn engine over by hand,off a pulley,or from flywheel with prybar.Get the piston as far up as it will go,there is a spot your looking for the TDC,the absolute highest pointis where you want the helper to get it.Now pull the cap off the distributor.If you have a vacuum advance,looking atthe distributor from the top looking down on the engine the advance diaphram needs to be at 730 clock position,and the rotor needs to point to the #1 cyl,about5 o clock.Put the distrubtor in at theses settings,reinstall #1 plug,reconnect coil,and it will fire right up,if everything else is right,I guarantee it.Now as soon as it fires adjust the timing by ear immediatley,then with a light to fine tune it.
Old 01-09-2001, 01:55 AM
LawnSite Member

John, I was sure there was more help than just me on here. You told him all the right stuff. Hope he does it right. Regards, Larry