Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 01-12-2001, 10:31 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks to the help of some folks here, I have identified my transfer case as an np203. Now for my next question, is it prefered to shift this case in park,neutral or on the fly? In addition, is there any way to tell just by looking at the transfer case if someone has installed a part-time kit? If there is no kit installed, am I correct in thinking there is no 2wheel drive? Any information would be helpful as this is my first chevy 4x4, all I know is jeeps. Thanks bunches!
Old 01-12-2001, 11:18 PM
LawnSite Member

THE 203 TRANSFER CASE SHIFTS EASYER IN NEUTRAL SOMETIMES YOU GET A BIND IN THE TRANSFER CASE YOU HAVE TO GO BETWEEN FORWARD AND REVERSE TO MAKE IT SHIFT EASYER. YOUR TRUCK HAD FULLTIME 4X4 WHICH MEANS THAT THE FRONT END PULLED ALL THE TIME BUT IT HAS A PART TIME KIT IN IT DO YOU YOU HAVE FRONT LOCKING HUBS ? IF YOU DO IT HAS BEEN CONVERTED TO PART TIME WHAT YOU NEED TO DO IS FIND A PLACE WHERE YOU CAN CHANGE YOUR SHIFTER AND SEE WHICH TIRES SPIN IN THE LOCATION OF THE SHIFTER AND TELL WHICH IS WHICH 4HI IS WHAT YOU SHOULD BE RUNNING FOR REAR WHEEEL DRIVE 4HI LOCK SHOULD LET THE FRONT END PULL AND SO SHOULD 4LO LOCK 4LO POSITION SHOULD LET JUST THE REAR WHEELS PULL FIND A MUDHOLE AND TRY IT OUT I HOPE THIS HELPS
Old 01-12-2001, 11:35 PM
LawnSite Member

info 203;

as far as the two wheel drive goes check your front hubs.
if you can turn a nob to free or lock you have a part time front end and you have 2-wheel drive,if the end of your hub is a flat surface that you can't turn you have full time 4x4.
part time will give you better mpg but don't be to disapointed if you have full time the miles per gallon are not that bad(depending on your diff. ratio)and what you intend to do with the truck.
good luck with your new truck mine has given me good servive for a lot of years 1977 GMC 4x4.
Old 01-15-2001, 07:47 AM
LawnSite Member

My truck

I also have a GMC with the NP 203 case , I hate the truck its a money pit ,but, I love the NP 203 case , this full time 4 wheel drive goes anywhere, this is the third truck Ive owned with full time 4WD and I think its money well spent. As far as gas milage goes I dont notice that much difference and besides if your driving a full size 4x4 pickup you have to know going in your gas milage is gonna be terrible , it just comes with the territory

Dan