Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 10-02-2004, 02:47 PM
LawnSite Member

new mower won't start...shooting gas thru exhaust on start-up

OK...used to work on these things all the time. Here's what's happening: This is a brand new Troy-Bilt used one time, and during that one time, it hit a small stump which stalled the mower. It restarted immediately but I could feel it vibrating a bit so I knew the blade was a tad bent.

I turned the mower over to adjust the blade, then I righted everything and tried starting it. It didn't want to start, I could smell lots of gas, therefore I figured I must have flooded it when I turn it over. It has since sat a week, still won't start. Now I see when I continually pull it, the gas is being sucked right thru the carb, and out the muffler. I first thought it was gas that was in the exhaust resevoir from when I turned it over, but it's not. It's just sucking the gas right from the tank, thru the carb, and out the exhaust !!! How the hell can that happen ? I took the top end off, just to get a peek. The carb (as small as it is) checks out just fine, as it should....it's brand new. I took off the float bowl just to make sure the floats weren't stuck open or closed....and just to make sure they operate, which they do.

There's no choke on this thing, yet there appears to be the linkage there, I'm guessing it's an automatic choke....but can't see how the flap in the carb closes without pulling the linkage with you finger. It appears as if it never closes to cut off the gas flow...maybe it's supposed to do that after it's running, not sure. I propped a screwdriver in there to close it off and tried pulling it again....but gas still sucks thru the carb and out the muffler.

Can't tell ya how appreciative I'd be for any advice, there used to be a time where I could get any old mower running...but guess I'm getting old cause this thing has gotten the better of me....and it's been running for only 30 minutes !!!!! thanks in advance
Old 10-02-2004, 08:18 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

You may have sheared off the key in flywheel and now it is out of time. I don't know how to check other than pull the flywheel. I am sure you took the plug out to let any gas that is in head drain out after you turned it over?
Old 10-02-2004, 09:45 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

You don't say which engine is on this.. but before you go trying to pull the flywheel (unless you have the tools to properly do it), I'd suggest you take it to a shop that does, before you crack your flywheel and are out that extra expense.
Old 10-03-2004, 08:35 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

If it is brand new it should be under warranty. Troy Bilt has a 2 year warranty but you would have to take it to an authorized service center but it shouldn't cost you anything to have it fixed.
Old 10-03-2004, 09:49 AM
LawnSite Member

Fuel flow is stoped by the needle in the carb. what you need do is return it to the dealer and get it checked out under warranty "BEFORE" you do any more "tinkering" and VOID the warranty.
Old 11-01-2004, 10:15 AM
LawnSite Member

bent crank & sheared key

good call about the sheared key, after tearing it apart, I found the crank was bent and the key was sheared off.

OK, I took the blade off and then the little adapter sleeve and the crank is definitely bent. Makes sense why the pull-start was bucking in my hand, almost ripping it off....feels and sounds as if the timing was off and now I'm guessing it is because it's not spinning & firing the way it should. Also, when I pulled the adapter sleeve off, the 'key' fell out too....it was sheared right off. This shouldn't have happened, they aren't built the way they used to be.
Any suggestions ? a new mower with 30 minutes on it, not sure what I should do......did many things with mowers before but never put a new crankshaft in before and it kills me to think I paid $10 a minute for this thing and now it's toast !!! Not even sure if it's something I can do or if something else may be damaged. Even though under warranty, I can't imagine them taking responsibility for this when in fact the crank was bent from me hitting a small stump barely an inch thick !!! Open to any suggestions, what would you guys do ?....thanks in advance for the help guys !!!!
Old 11-01-2004, 12:01 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyers16
Open to any suggestions, what would you guys do ?....thanks in advance for the help guys !!!!

Chalk it up to experience, dig out that little stump so I don't hit it again with a new mower. I'm sorry, warranty specifically states it will not cover bent crankshafts. A bent crank is due to operator negligence, and is not considered a materials or workmanship defect.
Old 11-01-2004, 06:45 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

You could probibly put a new crank in it yourself if you have enough skills and the proper tools. You will also need a B&S repair manual for single cylinder L- head engines. This will take you through the disassembly and assembly process. I'm not sure what a new crank costs but if the mower is brand new then it will be worth spending the money for a new crank.

P.S. Get rid of that stump.
Old 11-01-2004, 08:09 PM
LawnSite Member

What I would do is straighten the crank. Take trhe blade off and turn crank till you recognise the bend. Use a two pound hammer and straighten it back. I have used a lenght of pipe over the crank when it is bent very bad, and fine tune with the hammer. A lot of people may advise against this, but I have been doing it about thirty years with no ill effects.