Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 10-11-2004, 03:06 PM
LawnSite Member

leaf removal

i an fairly new to the business and was wondering what the best ways to do leaf removal
Old 10-11-2004, 08:28 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Let's see if this helps:
-DON'T (that's THE best way)
-Cut down all of the trees
Those are the best ways.

Seriously though, a rake, blower and tarp are the staples of leaf removal.... If you're fancy enough, a dump bed with a leaf vac may be helpful if you have the access.

Dan
Old 10-20-2004, 10:05 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Leaf Removal

The Best Way Spend Some Big Money An Get Ya A Turf Sweeper, Big Industrial Vac Pull Behind , An A 24 Foot Flatbed /dump. Get A Few Backpack Blowers An A Big Walk Behind Blower. Get Ready To Make Some Serious Money . Believe Me I Do Alot Of Leaf Work Its Hard Dirty Work But It Makes Me Some Serious Money . Last Year I Did 264 Jobs Average Job Is 200-250 Do The Math . Have Fun An Get To Leafing!!
Old 11-13-2004, 01:00 PM
LawnSite Member

By now I guess you have decided how you are going to do leaves.

I agree with BADBOYGEORGE. If you are going to do leaves, get it to the point where you have an enclosed dump truck with a vacuum attached, parking lot blowers, tarps, and a place to dump leaves. This can be an excellent add-on service if you are set up properly to do it. By offering a vacuuming service, you will also put on jobs that we call vac only accounts. Those are people who get the leaves to the street for you and you swing by and vacuum them up. This is a true money maker!

Any other way of doing leaves and you are doing it for FUN!

I realize you may not be able to start out with this type of set-up, but get there as soon as possible.

Good Luck - luck is where skill and preparation come together.
"Where Profit is not a DIRTY word"
Old 11-13-2004, 04:58 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

i completely agree with wayne and bad george,

I have one great blower, one pickup truck, one great mower and a place to dump leaves and it is hard work. Very quick money (great money), but hard and dirty.

I wish i was a full timer to get all the equipment they described.
Old 10-29-2012, 10:57 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by baddboygeorge View Post
The Best Way Spend Some Big Money An Get Ya A Turf Sweeper, Big Industrial Vac Pull Behind , An A 24 Foot Flatbed /dump. Get A Few Backpack Blowers An A Big Walk Behind Blower. Get Ready To Make Some Serious Money . Believe Me I Do Alot Of Leaf Work Its Hard Dirty Work But It Makes Me Some Serious Money . Last Year I Did 264 Jobs Average Job Is 200-250 Do The Math . Have Fun An Get To Leafing!!
what model turf sweeper and industrial pull behind vac do you use?
Old 07-23-2011, 10:40 PM
LawnSite Member

i have bought the walk behind vac the truck vac and several blowers and now im stumped on the pricing can anyone help me out?
Old 07-23-2011, 10:47 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Wow, dug up an old thread from the grave. Pricing is something you'll figure out after you do a few cleanups. Everyone is going to give you a different answer on it.
Old 07-24-2011, 01:12 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I dont like leaf removal, but never the less its a part of my business, not a huge part relative to the lawn maint, but still a pretty decent part and its all we do once lawn season is over. Everyone will have a different pricing structure, it all depends on your costs as well as what the market will be willing to pay for the service. We charge by the man hour, and its around $35 per man hour. Usually have three workers on the job so a little over $100 an hour is what we bill. I really would (and need to) bill more than this to make a profit closer to what we bring in during lawn season, but this rate is about the top end of what the market is willing to pay in my area. Figure out your costs per man hour (its not just labor its all of your expenses from insurance, gas, equipment maint, supplies, taxes, etc and divide out into your hours worked in a given year) and then add in what you need to make profit wise and you should have your figure. Just remember that your costs are going to be different from mine and anyone else on this site.
14x7 landscaping trailer
12x6 P&T hydro dump trailer w/leaf box
We run Gravely ZTRs, Honda 21"s, Kawasaki trimmers, Redmax Backpacks, LittleWonder loader
Old 07-27-2011, 12:07 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

It's easy. Go get a job working for someone who knows what they are doing and learn from them.