Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 10-15-2004, 09:10 AM
LawnSite Member

Pond Construction

My company only uses aquascape. My installers are comfortable with the product, and I think my customers will be hard pressed to find a better looking water feature than what they can install.

It took us a while to figure out what things we could do to make our ponds look better than competition. Anyone can did a hole and throw rock in it. Be creative and place each rock, Never stack rock. After all you don't see that in nature, and that is your inspiration
Attached Images

Old 10-15-2004, 11:12 AM
LawnSite Member

I will respond how i respond to all of these types of waterfalls....the gravel "borders" look horrible, unnatural, and unnessecary. I dont understand why people install them that way and i dont understand how you sell customers on that. The gravel border is my largest complaint against waterfalls and i think that it seperates highend work from wanna-bes. In the end it does look like all you did was dig a hole and throw rock in it because while you may have placed the large rocks it then looks like you just got lazy and dumped a couple tons of gravel in to fill everything else up.
Old 10-15-2004, 11:28 AM
LawnSite Member

Firstly, in terms of high end work, there is no better construction method. What is your alternative? Any more boulders make things look messy and contribed.
Also when the goundcover and plants mature the stone will be hidden and softned completing the entire landcape.
Old 10-15-2004, 11:36 AM
LawnSite Member

Look at my other post in this heading ...third one down.....now i know its not the best pics or even that great of a waterfall but atleast we didnt use peagravel filler. It looks extremely tacky.
Old 10-15-2004, 12:35 PM
LawnSite Member

I guess we will have to agree to disagree. Personally, I can't imagine calling a stacked stone wall with one piece of flagstone for a sheet rock "high end."

Really the only difference is rather than river stone you piled up tones of smaller rock. By using river stone & mulch around our water features we can tie it into the entire landscape. Other planting beds around the site we will incorporate alot of the same stone. Thus, creating an entire setting.

To me, your looks like a rock slide & is unfinished. After all they call it river stone because that is where it comes from!
Old 10-15-2004, 12:41 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

jd-

I think those are real nice looking waterfalls/ponds. I DO think some plantings within the stone would help soften the look and make it look more natural.

It doesn't look like "pea gravel" to me. Looks like, well, um..... RIVER ROCK?!?!

"Blue eyed boy meets a brown eyed girl.... oh oh oh the sweetest thing"