Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 01-02-2005, 03:03 PM
LawnSite Member

mulch

I am preparing mulch prices for the next year and I see that I can get mulch for 26 to 40 dollers a yard here in lower MI at A place calles Angelo's for you guys in the area . I can deliver up to 3 yards at a time with my friends's dump . I think that my pricing will reflect like this :

mulch price per yard +$30labor = amount per yard installed
plus $35 and up delivery
examples
Cypress mulch= $70 yard installed plus delivery
Cedar mulch = $61 yard installed
does my prices sound right for 2 men working putting down 2 yards an hour paying 10 bucks per hour to the other man ? I'll be making 50 an hour with little expence other than gas which will be coverd under the 35 doller delivery fee

THANKS GUYS IN ADVANCE!
Old 01-02-2005, 03:14 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

$70 a yard is on the high end here......at least your not loballing yourself i personally would say your prices are almost a tad high, but they are about there. i really dont know your market, but if it will support it, i say your good to go you did say you can buy mulch from $26-40/yd, and im thinking thats kinda high. we buy much much cheaper than that, but we buy by the tractor trailer load. is that wholesale or retail your buying at?
Old 01-02-2005, 08:49 PM
LawnSite Member

I agree, your price seems to high. The price of product is my first concern. Also, one employee should be able to spread 2 yards an hour ( mulch or bark not topsoil ) unless you have to park a couple houses away.
We do $37 a yard with $12 product cost. That's $50 per man hour.
Old 01-02-2005, 09:20 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

GUys remeber its cypress and cedar mark. I would get about $55 for a yard that cost me around 20 bucks or so. so if you think about it your charging 30 dollars labor which is about how much i get for labor. SO I would say your right on. MAybe you could look into gettinga cheaper price on the mulch that seems to be what is killing you.
Old 01-03-2005, 05:05 PM
LawnSite Member

ya this place is pretty expensive but there aren't too many options in the area , their are even places that are more expensive, and I didn't know that one man could spread 2 yards and hour ? that is some good news, now i'll see if I can find some cheaper mulch with the same quality!Wish me luck ! Also most of the installs will be done in high end neighborhoods so I need to get the best available prouduct because it has to look good and last.great info keep it coming !
Old 01-03-2005, 05:09 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

good luck. sounds like you got a level head. if your cost is more expensive you have to make up for it somewhere so that explains why you are a little high. we buy a lot cheaper than you so we arent as high, and we usually shoot by the tractor trailer load with our blower truck so we can cut costs a little there too. good luck. 2 yds for a man in an hour isnt hard to do either.
Old 01-12-2005, 09:42 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MImowerkid
I am preparing mulch prices for the next year and I see that I can get mulch for 26 to 40 dollers a yard here in lower MI at A place calles Angelo's for you guys in the area . I can deliver up to 3 yards at a time with my friends's dump . I think that my pricing will reflect like this :

mulch price per yard +$30labor = amount per yard installed
plus $35 and up delivery
examples
Cypress mulch= $70 yard installed plus delivery
Cedar mulch = $61 yard installed
does my prices sound right for 2 men working putting down 2 yards an hour paying 10 bucks per hour to the other man ? I'll be making 50 an hour with little expence other than gas which will be coverd under the 35 doller delivery fee
THANKS GUYS IN ADVANCE!
The price is a little high, but not far off. I'm just a little concerned about your last statement (highlighted in red). I don't think you know your true operating cost? That $10/hr employee should be close to $13 (counting tax and wc) and what about your fixed expense etc.? You are doing what a lot of guys do and only see the dollar sign.

You might check into what their delivery fee's are at your supplier. The mulch yards can deliver 7 or so yards at $15 a trip here.

I use Gopher Billing & Scheduling Software
Download your FREE fully functional 30-day
trial here.
Old 01-23-2005, 09:05 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

$50-$60/yard here.
costs are $22./yd for 2X shred hardwood.
$25 one time delivery fee no matter how much you buy.

that means it's still $25.00 if he has to make 4 trips to deliver 70 yards.
bobcat T200
way too much other crap