Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 05-17-2000, 11:17 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Do you have customers that leave toys, hoses, balls, plant pots, etc, etc out in the yard every week??<br>How about the people that nit pick you about weed control in the lawn..... but pick weeds out the their flower beds and toss in the lawn. They a week later they call you &quot;We have some weeds growing in the yard&quot;<br>This just pisses me off!<br>Sorrry, I feel better.
Old 05-17-2000, 11:43 PM
LawnSite Member

Man,I can relate to this and hell yes it pisses me off. I`ve got one customer with two kids and everytime I go to cut the back yard it looks like a Toys Are Us exploded. That whole pick the weed and leave it on the lawn thing that people do is another thing I also hate.
Old 05-17-2000, 11:52 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I think every one can relate to this problem at some point in thier career of lawncare.Thats one reason I went to an hourly rate for mowing,to recover the time required to pick up the lawn befor mowing.
Old 05-18-2000, 01:42 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I can relate. I've got a customer who runs a daycare out of her house. Every time I mow I gotta move a ton of toys.
Old 05-18-2000, 06:02 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Yeah, we've got them. But we have a couple of customers who seem to go out shopping, and whatever they buy ends up in the yard the next week. Whether it be toys, tools, drink containers, fishing poles, meat, boards, bags of mulch, it always ends up in the yard, and never in the same place I don't know what their major malfunction is, but the stuff just ends up in the yard. Hell, I found a cell phone in the yard a few moths back.
Old 05-18-2000, 08:56 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

as for the customers that complain about weeds growing in their beds, if our agreement doesn't cover weeds in the bed, it is an extra charge. and usually a good one.<p>for stuff like toys in the yard, since I walk behind the machine, if I can get one clear path around the yard, I start kicking things out of the way when I start the back and forth mowing. when I come near something, I just reachout and kick it behind me where I just mowed.<p>not very professional, you say? these people know when the grass cutter is coming and it's their job to pick up their things. not mine!<p>it's sorta like when the garbage man comes. he expects to empty the trash can outside--not to have to go into the house to get it.<p>what chaps me is when people throw stuff in the grass that you cant see. once I hit a 50 pound lead window weight. that was good for a new blade shaft!<p>GEO
Old 05-18-2000, 12:28 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

The only ones I have trouble with are some high $$$ people with absolutely no respect for what they have. Their kids leave balls, bats new gloves etc in the yard weekly, not to mention the batting cage. Any way the owner told me I was costing him a fortune in baseballs (I cut a few) - I replied that my rates just went up to compensate for the cost of blades. I still have to pick things up but I get paid better now. When I get done I place all the items across the driveway so THEY have to pick them up or run over them.
Old 05-18-2000, 06:54 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Hey Getmow, thats a pretty agresive plan. But I like it. I figure if i'm picking up stuff,thats less time to spend on the lawn.Not a good thing. And if you hit somthing solid with a Walker,you can pretty much count on your blades being wasted. <p>----------<br>Bobby <br>Ft Lauderdale
Old 05-18-2000, 07:02 PM

I have ran over a grill iron imbeded in the grass. people weed their beds and spread the weeds around for me to mulch the clogging crap. But i tellthem not to do that. Always Moving hoses and toys etc Some people are so inconsiderate
Old 05-18-2000, 07:20 PM
Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

I've run over some crap in the yards over the years. I agree the rich ones sure do leave some nice stuff laying around. What I hate is when they leave a steel rake laying in the lawns with the teeth up. Thats usually good for at least 3 holes in a tire, if not more.<p>----------<br>&lt;a href=&quot;http://pages.prodigy.net/eric.erickson/&quot;&gt;Eric@ELM&lt;/a&gt;<br>