Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 02-04-2005, 10:15 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

pay scale new emplyee

whats a fair wage... im in MICH.. for a lawn care laborer.. starting wage... little experience.. just curious..
Old 02-04-2005, 01:50 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

When I started

I started working for someone else in 1997. Very large local company that paid me $7.5 to start with no experience. Over 4 years moved up to $12. I was summer help only (4 months) while I was home from school. People who worked year round got paid slightly better, and had benefits.

That was 8 years ago, but the company also paid more than average at that time. I would say for a younger, brand new guy: $8 to start. With good experience, start at $9-10. And, give raises as they prove themself.
Old 02-04-2005, 04:34 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

thats what i was thinkin... $10- max.. get a CDL.. $1.00 raise... and maybe $1.00 over the summer if show improvement
Old 02-04-2005, 10:38 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

just talked with the guy.. hes actually a freind.... worked with me about 7 years ago - for one year... knows basics.. but we talked about all he would be doing ---and then came the salary.. he starts out by saying.. well i make $15/hour now.. (hes a painter--"paints houses for a small company) and i really cant afford much less than that...his bills and all" so i say well... youve been there for 5years... you cant just start somewhere at top pay.. you gotta grow... So i sell him on the Unemployment issue in the winter.. he likes the idea of only workin 8 mos.. and gettin unemplyment.. but still cant see that i have to start him at the MAX .. $11/hour.. than 12 after 60 days and if he gets a CDL in the fall... $13... and each year increase... thats pretty good pay in my eyes.. "is it not?" let me know your thoughts... Thanks
Old 02-04-2005, 10:40 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

ohhh also... hes affraid to start over basically.. and he really hates painting.. and the grind of everyday smelling paint fumes and lookin a white walls.. but its casual work... you know "breaks.. they only work 9-3 or so... very laid back and easy work.. but he really hates that trade???? need to know what to do... i know if i had him.. he could be potential Long term employee....??
Old 02-04-2005, 10:56 PM
LawnSite Member

I think that LawnAndLandscape did a study on this by region. I am not sure that Lawnsite will let me post a link there but it is on thier website.
Old 02-05-2005, 10:46 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scraper69
just talked with the guy.. hes actually a freind.... worked with me about 7 years ago - for one year... knows basics.. but we talked about all he would be doing ---and then came the salary.. he starts out by saying.. well i make $15/hour now.. (hes a painter--"paints houses for a small company) and i really cant afford much less than that...his bills and all" so i say well... youve been there for 5years... you cant just start somewhere at top pay.. you gotta grow... So i sell him on the Unemployment issue in the winter.. he likes the idea of only workin 8 mos.. and gettin unemplyment.. but still cant see that i have to start him at the MAX .. $11/hour.. than 12 after 60 days and if he gets a CDL in the fall... $13... and each year increase... thats pretty good pay in my eyes.. "is it not?" let me know your thoughts... Thanks
If the guy makes $15 hour year round and you are planning on paying him $11 hour 8 months, and then cut back to unemployment for the winter. IMO all you are going to accomplish in this deal is the loss of a friend. He might think the unemployment sounds great now, but when they come to take his vehicle because he is making less per year and can't make the payments. He is going to be pi...d at you not himself for agreeing to the cut in pay to change jobs.
Old 02-05-2005, 01:12 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

sounds right... but i just cant afford to pay $15 this year .. sure maybe by the end of next year.. he would be at 15 if hes running a crew>.../