Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 02-17-2005, 10:13 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

What Was Your First Mower?

When you first started mowing lawns, what type of mower did you use? Did it hold up? What did you buy next?
Old 02-17-2005, 10:18 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

JD GS30 - 36" belt drive, still have it, probably best cutting mower we have, just not easiest and most efficient to use. Next was a Exmark Laser Z.
If I had it to do over again, I would start with a larger walkbehind hydro, electric start, velke. I know it's easier said than done, hard to afford when u have nothing.
Old 02-17-2005, 10:30 PM
LawnSite Member

Started with a 48" Bobcat beltdrive walkbehind. It cuts and pulls well. Then I bought a Huskee tractor for a larger job I received (big mistake, spent more money on spindles than I did parts cost on all my equipment) Finally bought toro Z-master.
Old 02-17-2005, 10:46 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I have no Idea the make, it was sprayed over with grey primer. It was a 21" rear discharge with i guess a 3.5 horse b&s. I bought it when I was about 16 at a garage sale for probably $30.Those were the days, a couple bucks for a six pack of Meister brau, a pack of smokes and a dollars worth of gas in the moped and the weekend was set!!
Old 02-17-2005, 10:47 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Mine was an old 21 inch mower that I bought used. It had a recoil start that you had to manually wrap the cord on to start, which took about 4 or 5 times. Then you had to remember to pick it up and put it back in the truck, (car actually at that time) so that when you got to the next lawn you could start the mower. It lasted a few months, so It served the purpose. As scrubby as that sounds, I actually had a business license and was paying taxes.
Old 02-17-2005, 10:54 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I started my biz with a commercial Snapper fleet, but back in the day of junior high, I started with a 1984 Snapper push mower w/ BBC. I loved that mower, and it gave a really nice cut, espescially when bagging. I still have it to this day, 21 years later, and yes, it still runs...but only on my lawn for sentimental reasons.
Old 02-17-2005, 10:56 PM
LawnSite Member

I started up last season and bought a JD GS30. I still have the mower and it did a great job. If I were to do it again, I'd probably buy a WB with an easier way to change deck height and a hydro. I'm looking to buy a ztr this season, prob a Grasshopper or JD. good luck!
Old 02-17-2005, 11:13 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Started out, when I was 12, using my parent's LawnBoy GoldPro 21". My parents then got a 42" Craftsman rider. I was lucky enough to be able to use that. It did a decent job and got me going with the business. I then purchased my Gravely 260Z in August of 2003. For a graduation present in June of 2004, I got a Honda HRX 217. I am looking to add a 36" Walk-behind this year.
Old 02-19-2005, 08:35 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawnman_scott
Mine was an old 21 inch mower that I bought used. It had a recoil start that you had to manually wrap the cord on to start, which took about 4 or 5 times. Then you had to remember to pick it up and put it back in the truck, (car actually at that time) so that when you got to the next lawn you could start the mower. It lasted a few months, so It served the purpose. As scrubby as that sounds, I actually had a business license and was paying taxes.
I remember those had a minibike like that. Did anyone use the push mower that had a handle on top. You would flip the handle out, crank it up. I think you would hit a button and it was suppose to start. It was suppose to be easy. What a pos. it did have a deck wash on it.
Old 02-19-2005, 08:51 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

My first a Scag 48'' wb belt drive its great i also have a 52'' scag wouldnt use anything else