Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 02-02-2001, 08:43 PM
LawnSite Member

I have prepared brochures and intend to mail them to specific local businesses to target new work. How should I address them? By this I mean should it be "Attn: manager" or should I call first to try and get an actual persons name? Does it even matter? Should I put them in envelopes so they aren't immedately pitched as "junkmail" before they're even read?

Any insight is greatly appreciated.

What has been your most effective marketing strategy?
Old 02-02-2001, 09:00 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

If your only targeting a few, take the time to make a phone call or two. Find out who makes the decisions, and personalize your mktg info the decision maker.

Consider just a letter of introduction and request to "interview" with the decision maker face to face.
Old 02-03-2001, 07:48 AM
LawnSite Member

businesses expect people to stop by and sell to them. You should stop by just to introduce yourself and dropp off the flyer. We always buy more from people we know. Because we know you they are,name ,face etc.otherwise you are just another piece of junk mail.
Old 02-11-2013, 01:28 PM
LawnSite Member

I always try to put fliers in an envelope addressed to the specific person I am trying to reach. I also include a short letter thanking the person for considering my company. It will take a little extra work to find out the persons name, but it is good to do research on the businesses you want to work for.

Linkedin can be a good way to find people who work for a business you are targeting. You may also be able to make a connection with the right person, before you send the flier.

Chamber of Commerce events, local civic clubs (Rotary), and networking groups (BNI) are good ways to meet the decision makers for small businesses. A warm referral beats a cold call any day.