Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 03-05-2005, 11:03 AM
LawnSite Member

mulch w/ bobcat

how many of you use a bobcat when installing mulch at residential properties. Most of the houses I mulch require 8-12 yards. I have heard of even using a bobcat simply to load the wheelbarrows to prevent shoveling and turf damage. Would a smaller skid steer (bobcat 553) cause less turf damage then a full size, enabling me to drice over turf to lay the mulch. Thanks.
Old 03-08-2005, 08:32 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I would be afraid to do it. It sounds like you might cause more damage that you would have to repair
Old 03-08-2005, 09:25 AM
LawnSite Member

That is why I have a Kubota B7800 tractor with unloaded turf tires. I use mine for most of my mulch installations. Works great, speeds it up and with no damage to the lawn.
Old 03-08-2005, 02:06 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

When I was in landscaping we usually just did mulch by hand unless it was at or over 20 yards. However all of our rock jobs we used power wheelbarrows. Our fist job was a 10 yard slate rock install on the rear of a house. We had to go a good distance up and down a hill in order to get to the back yard. So we rented two power wheelbarrows, the kind that most concrete guys use. We inanely loaded these by hand but after a few more jobs we came apone the Toro dingo. We then used this to load the wheelbarrows this reduced time and labor now two to three guys could easily get a rock job done quickly. We even did one job that required larger rocks, I believe they were called egg rock. We were actually placing them on the ledge of a creek bed that was about 15' down to the creek. One of the guys who did not know the power wheelbarrow very well lost control and dropped it 15 feet into the creek. It took us most of the day to get it out with pulleys, chains, trucks, and ect... The thing worked great even after the long drop and we finished up the job that day. So after that long story I hope I gave you some ideas or good info!!! LOL
Old 03-08-2005, 02:44 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

If you do not own a skidsteer yet you might want to look into the mini skid steers like the
Bobcat MT series or the Toro Dingos and there are a ton of other manufactureres of them out there just do a search on mini skids on this site alone. Plus you can get some of them through 36" gates into backyards so there is really no limitation to where you can take them and the tracked models do a lot less damage to turf versus the wheeled models.
Old 03-08-2005, 03:02 PM
LawnSite Member

Check out the new toolcat by bobcat. this can, plow, dig, drill ,haul, load mulch
Attached Images