Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-24-2005, 10:28 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff@SGLC.ca
Todd unless you are trying to stir something up for some unknown reason I've come to not respect your comments each post I read. Are you calling him a lowballer because he was not the most expensive? Is there some point behind ppl calling others lowballers you are trying to bring to our attention?

Just because Steve was not the most expensive does not make himself a lowballer. He has experience from previous years working the account and knows what to expect, I'm sure he bid what he felt he wanted to get. Now is the guy who bid half of what everyone else bid a lowballer? Probbaly or he just has no clue.
I don't think you ever did respect them at all .
No i am not trying to throw gas on the fire but if any one of us new guys to this site would say i got the bid because i was 20 bucks cheaper he would be called a low-baller. You know i know and they know it . Someone said i was well two did i was a negative guy so why not . I may not know as much as any of you but yet some minors on here get more respect then a guy like myself . If you and your brothers wanna bash ill live up to the name . And any one with out new equipment is a scrub that f***ed up as long as what you got looks good it don't matter but i guess you you want respect here you have to be in the hole to start with to mean anything to any one here . Does it bother me what you and any one thinks on here NO . Take all the cheap shoots you want . But I'm not as bad as half of yous with the racism and what not .
Old 04-24-2005, 10:53 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd's lawncare
I don't think you ever did respect them at all .
No i am not trying to throw gas on the fire but if any one of us new guys to this site would say i got the bid because i was 20 bucks cheaper he would be called a low-baller. You know i know and they know it . Someone said i was well two did i was a negative guy so why not . I may not know as much as any of you but yet some minors on here get more respect then a guy like myself . If you and your brothers wanna bash ill live up to the name . And any one with out new equipment is a scrub that f***ed up as long as what you got looks good it don't matter but i guess you you want respect here you have to be in the hole to start with to mean anything to any one here . Does it bother me what you and any one thinks on here NO . Take all the cheap shoots you want . But I'm not as bad as half of yous with the racism and what not .
I agree with you on the lowballing. I also agree with you on the racism. But you should watch your language and not be so cocky, look at how many threads you were a part of that are not able to be viewed now.
It is funny though, someone on here that people for some reason look up to get a government contract and they are praised, when anyone with a half a brain knows that they were the low bidder. But for some reason that isnt lowballing......... And an all black company without cheap company t-shirts, wow. Never seen any white guys dressed like that........
Old 04-24-2005, 11:54 PM
LawnSite Member

I really don't think there is any preference or under the table dealings in this bid. I say that from watching and participating in the bid 3 times over the last 6 years. What I see is a new group of bidders every two years, who have no experience with low income housing work and don't take into account all of the minor irritants, like 5-6-7 flat tires per day, 6-7 man hours per day picking up trash, residents who won't move so you can mow thru, causing you to have to return to areas, gangs of kids in the summer who think the greatest thing in the world is to stand and stare at you while you try and mow and not hit them with dust and grass, multiple insurance claims for broken car windows and scratched paint jobs, none of which are your fault, but they know they can call the housing office and get your insurance carrier and when you get home you have a message from the claims office wanting details, lots of little things like that.
Was mowing one of the projects last Wednesday, stopped to pick up a broken concrete block that was laying in the grass. Started mowing and saw a piece of rock go skipping thru the grass in front of me and thought it was strange, hadn't heard the blades hit anything. Looked behind me and saw a 15-16 years old standing there grinning. Came back around, when i was heading away from him again saw a rock come by my head, missed me by about 1 foot. Looked back, kid standing there grinning like crazy. Pulled out my cell phone, held it up and started dialing, he and two buddies took off running. Its nothgin to have a resident see you coming toward them and have them pick up a trash can and dump it right in front of you in the grass, just so they can watch yo pick it up. That is why my bid was 95xxx and not too high. And the contract gives them the right to reject any bid for any reason, not bound to take low bid.
Old 04-24-2005, 11:56 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Did I miss the post with racism in it? I'm not a racist at all, my buddy who works with me is Jamaican, my other two best friends are west indian and east indian so you won't get that from me.

Todd, I'm not attacking you I just feel you make a lot of one line comments that add nothing constructive to the threads.

"This topic has been beat deader then the already dead horse it road in on."
Old 04-25-2005, 12:15 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff@SGLC.ca
Did I miss the post with racism in it? I'm not a racist at all, my buddy who works with me is Jamaican, my other two best friends are west indian and east indian so you won't get that from me.

Todd, I'm not attacking you I just feel you make a lot of one line comments that add nothing constructive to the threads.
Sure i do but so does 8 out of every 10 at this site do . I didn't say you were the one showing racism but it is here any you know it . For the people that wont hire a white guy i find that racist don't you ? And lately i have been a bit cocky for a number of reasons . Just like every one else does at one time or another . But some people are dead set to bring new and young people in the green Industry down time and time again . I am far from new to it and far from new to owning and operating a company by any means believe it or not .
Old 04-25-2005, 12:28 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshlawn
It's the same way in Knoxville, TN. The same crew of people get most of the gov. contracts for the road medians every single year. They bid right at the departments budgeted amount every time. They do a horrible job, they're always late and they look horrible doing it (generic equipment, torn clothing and such). It happens that the lawn crew is all black (no white's, Hispanics or other), and the gov. director is black too. -
Jeff i think this is what Todd and I were refering to.
Old 04-25-2005, 12:37 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawnman_scott
Jeff i think this is what Todd and I were refering to.

Ahh ok. I'd just like to make an observation as far as "black" work crews go. I've noticed on my trips through the states a lot of the road construction and paving crews have a lot more black employees. Now if you were to look at our paving crews up here, they are all Italian, 2 or 3 generations lol out there working.

Now is there a coincidence that an all black cutting crew bids the budgeted amount with a black director......I'm sure there is some colusion going on but I would not see it as being racist.

Oh and I never bring down anyone young and starting out. I don't think someone who is 16 can really say they are in the business...up here you can't even drive a car by yourself at that age. I started young, 17 I was out cutting and aerationg lawns and I'm still at it. It would of been nice to have this site when I was 17 though, haters or not.

"This topic has been beat deader then the already dead horse it road in on."