Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-25-2005, 07:13 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawnandplow42
Steel toe is great. It stands up to hits from the trimmer string, and in the rare occasion of sticking your toes under the mower, they are better than non-steel toes.

I usually wear logger style work boots. Not the easiest on the turf, but thats what i'm most comfortable in.
Has anyone tested steel toes vs spinning blades?
I keep my feet out from under the machines, but there is always a chance of an accident. I really don't think the little bit of steel would help against 17 or more horsepower, spinning a sharp blade.
I think the extra weight is more of a problem than a protection.
What really matters is comfort. If you are more comfortable in logging boots, then wear them. I used to wear wrestling shoes, they don't weigh hardly anything, but they don't give much support to the arches.
Crawdad
Old 04-25-2005, 09:10 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I got a pair of Timberland boots from the outlet mall cheaper than a pair of cheap gym shoes, and are comfortable as all heck.
I would recommend them not only for the comfort, but they look a lot more professional than gym shoes in my opinion.
Old 04-25-2005, 10:30 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I wear Justin Boots, the work boot style with the 1" thick composite sole. I've still got the pair I bought 4 years ago. In fact I'm wearing them right now. They're the most comfortable boots I've ever owned. The pair I am wearing cost right at $150 when they were new, the soles on these are worn kinda funny, but I'm not gonna stop wearing them until there is nothing left of the sole and then I might have them resoled if they're in good enough shape then. The last pair I bought last year were $130. They are well worth the money in my opinion.

2004 Ford F-250 XL RC/LB 4x2 Power Stroke Diesel
2010 John Deere Z710A 48" cut
1999 John Deere GT-235/54" deck
1985 John Deere 212 w/38" deck
1983 John Deere 420 w/54" hydraulic front blade
1974 John Deere 140, 54" hydraulic blade, 3pt. hitch, tandem disc, plow, 48" deck
1971 John Deere 112, 38" deck, all original, down for engine rebuild.
1967 IH Cub Cadet 124 w/creeper box, disc, plow
1947 Economy/Power King Tractor S/N 590, fully restored.

Certified John Deere Technician
Old 04-25-2005, 10:31 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

You have to take care of your feet as well as the rest of your body. Its one of the pieces of equipment you can't take in for repair or pick up a new one if things go wrong.

I use Georgia boots. They are avalible at varrious local dealers down here. They range from 60 to 140 bucks and are super comfortable. Tons of support. My soles are the flat ultra sole treaded ones. No slip. Oil resistant. This pair I have had for about 6 months. I also spray my feet daily before I put on socks to avoid stink and athletes foot. Mine aint steel toed but I have some of thoes when I need em. I used to use red wings but love the cost and feel of these.

Well my day was the only thing cut short here today. Rain ugh
Old 04-25-2005, 01:56 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I don't mow grass now that I'm self employed. Only irrigation with a small bit of landscaping. While working on golf courses as a kid.......I helped haul guys to the hospital for tennis shoes twice because they slipped with a push mower. The steel will stop a blade, but most of the time, a mower deck incident will hit the foot below the steel toe or at least start below the steel cup. I still recomend OSHA saftey toes. I would be w/o some toes if I didn't wear them. That spinning blade will do the same to the foot that slides under it that is does to anything else. If there is enough weight there, it will either stop or kick it out. Either is better than getting mulched. Yes, good saftey boots are heavier, but ask any good hiker. A good pair of well fit boots walk better than tennis shoes any day. I like 8" laces. My son still argues and wears the shorter 6" boots. Boots are just like saftey glasses, they have to fit or they are uncomfortable and you won't wear them. I personally tend to shop for cheaper boots as long as they fit. Working sprinklers, I stay wet and I'm not going to spend the money on two sets of boots. If you don't let them dry out, it doesn't matter how good the quality, they still rot and fall apart. If you can afford it, buy two pairs of identical boots and rotate them every day. This works with cheap boots too
They will last 4 or 5 times longer.
....but still a bargain compared to anything else.
And I NEVER say I told you so out loud.
How many Hats can you wear?