Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-23-2005, 12:37 AM
LawnSite Member

Exmark factory tour

My dealer told me Exmark has some of its customers up to their plant in Nebraska every year in January. Anybody been? How was it?
Old 04-23-2005, 11:13 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I haven't been to one but that sounds AWESOME! I would structure a vacation around that tour.
Old 04-24-2005, 10:11 AM
LawnSite Member

I've been there a couple times. It changes all the time. The tour is a great thing, but the best part about Exmark visits are the round table meetings. I have sat in on a couple brain storming sessions about ideas that have been turned into standard features on their equipment. The Exmark people really do listen to the input they recieve from the end user.
Old 04-24-2005, 03:27 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

That would be pretty interesting, IMO. But Nebraska in January? Maybe they could relocated their factory to Cancun.
Old 04-24-2005, 04:36 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOOLIE
That would be pretty interesting, IMO. But Nebraska in January? Maybe they could relocated their factory to Cancun.
How do you say Exmark in spanish? El cheapo el exmarko?

I guess if they decided to start building lower grade equipment, they could open up a plant there.
Old 04-24-2005, 04:57 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by beransfixitinc
How do you say Exmark in spanish? El cheapo el exmarko?

I guess if they decided to start building lower grade equipment, they could open up a plant there.
Honestly, I don't see what being cheap and building in Mexico have in common. Considering VW and GM both assemble vehicles there for sale in the U.S and Canada, quality would still have to be on par with US and Canadian Factories.

"This topic has been beat deader then the already dead horse it road in on."
Old 04-24-2005, 05:01 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Geez...I was just trying to think of a place a little warmer than Nebraska in January. Wasn't trying to spark a debate on jobs leaving the country.
Old 04-25-2005, 03:35 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbia Turf
I've been there a couple times. It changes all the time. The tour is a great thing, but the best part about Exmark visits are the round table meetings. I have sat in on a couple brain storming sessions about ideas that have been turned into standard features on their equipment. The Exmark people really do listen to the input they recieve from the end user.

What brain storming ideas have been put into the exmark standard features. I demoed the Lazer Z and didn't notice anything that wasn't on the most common ZTR. Other then the quality of cut (deck design) the Exmark lacks in features, and even the standard stuff like Hydro's, parking brake, etc. are lacking compared to many. They do cut nice, but they need to do more then just change control locations and add roll bars, etc. Exmark is a great cutting mower, but it has no features worth discussing.

I use Gopher Billing & Scheduling Software
Download your FREE fully functional 30-day
trial here.
Old 04-25-2005, 07:35 PM
LawnSite Member

SOUPY, Some things that now are standard features were once just ideas. THe parking brake on the walk behinds was one that I distinctly remember discussing. At the time there was none. The push mower they introduced a couple years ago waqs another. Spent the better part of an afternoon talking weather it should be 21 inches, 24 inches or even 30 inches. Greasable vs nongreasable spindles is always a topic also.

Stand on units were topic one visit. Exmark really does listen to the end user. The one I remember well was using bigger pins on the deck hangers. The original walkbehinds had a smaller clevis pin through the rear hanger rod. The pins always seemed to bend. After discussion about engineering limits on the size of holoe that could be drilled through the hanger so it retained 100% of its strength, They changed it to a bigger hole because 90% of the people there drilled them out anyway.

There are other things I could relate but wont take the time right now. So They might not be mounting cd players (it was discussed) on their equipment or have the controls mounted where you would like to see them, But as I stated, THe people at Exmark really do listen to the end user.

I will say not every thing they do I agree with either. When we started using Exmark, It was hands down superior than anything in our market. Service is the other end of product selection. I dont know your situation, but our dealer is top notch and really looks out for the commercial cutter. Dont forget dealer service is part of the formula.

Hope this helps.