Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-24-2005, 11:11 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoyboy
Go to school. Yes, the stats clearly point out the fact that college educated people make more. That's not the reason for my recommendation, however. Contrary to some posts, college will make you a better person if you apply yourself. You will learn to reason. You will learn discipline. You will learn thought processes that far exceed the degree that you obtain. Even if you end up in a completely different career than your degree (even landscaping), the wealth of knowledge and personal enrichments you learn while in college will follow you all your life. Get it while you're still young. 200 accounts sounds like a huge business to you right now. It is not. A lack of education will eventually handcuff you to remaining small and "manageable," as so many other here have found themselves in that same predicament.

Dan
That is EXACTLY why I'm going back to school after 8 years of self employment with a high school education.
Old 04-25-2005, 02:23 AM
LawnSite Member

I've been in the industry for over 20 years now and I still don't know what I would major in if I went back to school. The money I make is in the 6 figure range.
Set yourself a time line or goals. If you don't reach your goals you can go back to school and still have staff run your service for you. All you would have to do is check up on the quality of work after your school day is done.
Good luck.
Old 04-25-2005, 03:10 AM
LawnSite Member

Stay in school Mate!

You'll burn out by about 25, then you will wish you stayed in school :blush:

To late, then you will be "stuck" mowing!

We love what we do, cos we dont know better....lol

I stii0ll go back to do courses, so stay at school-

Thank us all in 5 years!
Old 04-25-2005, 01:45 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

To go or not to go?

Yes, I have a college degree (it's even in this field roflmao). What did I most get from my BSinAg? A complete disrespect for college degrees.........

That being said, STAY IN SCHOOL. Doesn't make sense, right?
Let's assume you have the skills to make what you have work and your business grows. Your making a comfortable income. Who do you socialize with? A college education goes way beyond the degree you earn. It gives you a perspective on life. Go part time. Don't give up what you have, enhance it. Is there a good, small 4year college close by? or better yet, a nice Div.I school?
Since your not going to be trying to impress a prospective employer, pursue your personal interests. Do I recommend some buis Mngt and acct? You bet. But take an art class. Take a communication class and learn about advertising. Feed the hunger for knowledge that any educated, successful person has. SOCIALIZE. College will provide you opportunities to meet people and form bonds that will help you later in life. Cram a 4 year program into 6 or 8 years. Who cares when you graduate? I would recommend you compile the credits necessary to receive a token for your efforts. And, if you find something you really enjoy (and don't tell me the hard work and sweat of this business is your life long dream), pursue it. If an advanced degree is a possibility once you are in school DO NOT GRADUATE w/ a bachelor's degree until you have taken every class you can in your chosen direction. You can take classes that qualify for graduate credit at undergraduate prices if you hold back graduating. Most can't afford this luxury. If at the end of the day, your goal is to enjoy life, a quality education will help you have the right contacts down the road to make your life easier.
....but still a bargain compared to anything else.
And I NEVER say I told you so out loud.
How many Hats can you wear?
Old 04-25-2005, 02:26 PM
LawnSite Member

i would go with the lawn care. If you can make about $60,000 a year and be happy with that, i would take that path. It sucks working for somebody and to be your own boss, there is nothing like it. get to that 200 weekly accounts, and hire employees to do the work and sit and collect your money doing nothing. But i do suggest taking a few business-entrepenuership classes and some business law classes. it could save you if uncle sam comes knocking at your door.
Old 04-25-2005, 09:22 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks for the advice, guys!

Hey guys, I really appreciate all of you who responded to my thread! Your advice has aided in my decision-making process. After talking with my parents, friends, youth pastor, and so on, I have decided that I will continue to run my business as full time as possible, but still take business courses at night. As far as socialization, not an issue. The University of Tennessee (go Vols!) is 5 minutes from my home, and most of my best friends are going there next year. Also, as far as my getting hurt and the business sufferring, not a problem, either. I have a partner that could handle the lawns solo, and we share the profits because we both own the equipment. There is a community college about 15 minutes away which I plan to take my business courses from. I think they also have some landscaping courses. Anyways, I really do appreciate all your advice!
1 '91 Range Rover
1 6'x12' trailer
1 Scag Wildcat 61"
1 Toro Proline 52" Hydro
1 John Deere 48"
2 Ryobi Trimmers
1 Echo Trimmer
2 McCollough Blowers
1 22" Toro