Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-26-2005, 11:44 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Why is that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles
I am sure they are not cutting back on other areas they consider important--cable tv, trash pickup, eating out, vacations etc. The lawncare guy always gets the shaft
When I was getting ready to get started, we paid off credit cards, dropped down to basic cable, canceled all of the premium phone features (caller ID, voicemail, etc), sold the motorcycle, stopped eating out, etc.
Congressman: I want to go to war.
All of Congress: I want to go to war.
Dick Cheney: I was the first one who wanted to go to war.
Old 04-26-2005, 02:02 PM

I really dont know what they are doing but most of us have elderly on SS who can afford to have their grass cut.
They didnt do this guy some big favor by letting him cut their grass. He earned his money. As soon as you figure out that you earn and deserve the money you get then you will be up on the game. YOu will realize too when your equipmment falls apart that its not all profit.
I run a business and am not a social worker. Peoples finances are no concern of mine. If they are loyal customers they will call him anyway when they can afford it whether he gives them a freebie or not. YOu are just reducing the value of your services in the customers mind if you discount it and/or give it away imo
Old 04-26-2005, 02:36 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Come on, no matter how much I like to make money, I'm fooling myself if I start thinking that my services rank up there with telephone service.

Any yahoo can cut their own yard, the elderly are old, that's why they don't do it. Quite frankly I kind of wonder about some of my 20-60 year old clients that hire me to mow their 1/2 acre yard. $150 at Walmart and you've got a perfectly good home use mower and a little exercise once or twice a week.

Not to talk myself out of work, but I would never hire anyone to clean my house or mow my yard.

Mowing a lawn, no matter how many stripes you leave, is mowing a lawn. The real service is in all the other crap that needs done (trimming, cleanup, edging, etc.). Any 13 year old can mow a lawn - it might just take a little longer with a 14" deck MTD mower.
Old 04-26-2005, 02:37 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Well

Quote:
I really dont know what they are doing but most of us have elderly on SS who can afford to have their grass cut.
They didnt do this guy some big favor by letting him cut their grass. He earned his money. As soon as you figure out that you earn and deserve the money you get then you will be up on the game. YOu will realize too when your equipmment falls apart that its not all profit.
I run a business and am not a social worker. Peoples finances are no concern of mine. If they are loyal customers they will call him anyway when they can afford it whether he gives them a freebie or not. YOu are just reducing the value of your services in the customers mind if you discount it and/or give it away imo
You clearly have me confused with someone else. I wasn't offering to discount anything. I know my expenses. I never said anything was all profit. I just asked how you knew they weren't cutting back on anything else.

Take a pill.
Old 04-26-2005, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pagefault
You clearly have me confused with someone else. I wasn't offering to discount anything. I know my expenses. I never said anything was all profit. I just asked how you knew they weren't cutting back on anything else.

Take a pill.
Well then the "You" didn't mean you lol

I dont know and I dont care. I just know I want to get paid for everything I do
Old 04-26-2005, 03:30 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I agree

I figured since the post followed mine without quoting another, it was referring to me. My bad.

I agree that I want to get paid. I still think that making yourself available to provide him with general guidance on how to start a business would be far more helpful anyway.
Old 04-26-2005, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pagefault
I agree that I want to get paid. I still think that making yourself available to provide him with general guidance on how to start a business would be far more helpful anyway.
Ya that would be a nice thing to do. Remember when Seinfeld gave that Pakistani business advice on running a restaurant and the restaurant failed? lol The Pakistani(Babu) called Jerry a "bad man, a very bad man"
Old 04-26-2005, 03:44 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Yes

Quote:
Remember when Seinfeld gave that Pakistani business advice on running a restaurant and the restaurant failed?
I do, indeed. I'd be careful to limit the advice to something I had experience with, like dealing with the Secretary of State and the Comptroller, or finding a good bank or good software. I don't think I'd tell him what kind of food to serve.

Of course, I have to wonder who would open a business and let one know-it-all convince them to change everything less than a month into the whole thing.
Old 04-26-2005, 04:02 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Thumbs up

Hello, If it were me?.....I'd offer the most basic service possible, to see if I could keep them & give them the "Free" service as well!...I've had plenty of customers come back after things got better for them.....Once I gave services "Free" for a season, & when fall came so did there check with a "Bonus" for bein a good guy & friend.......Then again thats me, and I maintain a very close client contact [ I have only 30 or so accounts, no-mowing, no-employees,billing a healthy 6 digits a year]