Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 03-10-2005, 03:38 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

See we ship factory jobs to them so they can make $40-$60 a week. The factory executives get in good with a few workers and say "would you be interested in mowing my lawn for $15." To them that's like $15 an hour as opposed to $1. Plus, it gets their foot in the door for their old lady to clean the house, and kids to clean the pool. Heck, some of these guys could be bringing home an extra $100 a month. To them thats gold
Old 03-11-2005, 01:07 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I find this thread real funny.

Some of the original cast on this site know me and I was probably one of the first left coast posters. I just prefer to write on a different lawn INTERNET site as I find less post that would apply to me due to all the newbies to this big site.

I give you why you don't find too many California people here on this board.

The maintenance trade in this state is 99.9% Latino. Most of these guys are fly by nights, but many of them, such as some former crew members of my dad's and myself figured out that to make money, you need to be your own boss.

So these guys, most who don't even have a high school education, you think they are going to own a computer?

As to some earlier post on this thread....
Emission requirements: California has always been ahead of the game before feds require other states to follow.Not everybody born here in this state are enviroMental, tree huggers. However, I will look at a natural remedy WHEN practical. For example, the use of tobacco juice as a natural insecticide that I tell my clients to try.

California gas cans, that's a first for me. Try more like mandatory no spill cans. I don't see how you can build a non-venting gas can

I will admit that the maintenance side of this trade has gone to pots, specially the last 15 years. You survive because you charge a fair price and do excellent work.

The other thing, not trying to brag but to make a point, the route that I do is all incorporated within a 15 mile radius. So on average in perfect conditions, 1 of my crew of 2 will average me over $500 over my daily operating cost 52 weeks a year.

How do we achieve this, well for starters, if you've been in this trade over 30 years, you build up a route that is close to each other. The lawns, well in my area, the biggest residential lawn I do is a corner house that is only 2200 sq. ft.. On average, most of the lawns I take care of are less than 900 sq.ft.
Old 03-11-2005, 10:32 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I also post here on occassion, mainly the mechanic forum as I repair heavy turf equipment. As stated above we use equipment that is not the same. Our unit is different then most LCOs. Our crews main just mow, sweep, and renovate, since I work for a city entity. On site staff get the pleasure of weeding, trimming, and edging. Our crew mows over 2000 acres weekly. IE larger machines. Our smallest rotary is 72" ZTRs.
And as stated above we mow year round. Basically two seasons here, spring and fall. Most of us have many outside hobbies that our time while you all in the east are trying to stay warm inside while the snow is on the ground. If weather is nice in the summer, hit the surf; if bad off road in the backcountry. If weather is nice in the winter, hit the surf; if bad hits the local slopes and ski which isn't too far of a drive. Know a few that hit the surf in morning before work and drive to hit the slopes after work. With these schedules we don't have much time to sit and type.
As far as the "enviro nuts", yes our state has the biggest share them. We are constantly having to change the way we do business to meet new state guidelines. Which the ones that work, slowly make it east.
City of San Diego

We enrich lives through quality parks and programs.
Old 05-02-2005, 11:09 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gusbuster
I find this thread real funny.

Some of the original cast on this site know me and I was probably one of the first left coast posters. I just prefer to write on a different lawn INTERNET site as I find less post that would apply to me due to all the newbies to this big site.

I give you why you don't find too many California people here on this board.

The maintenance trade in this state is 99.9% Latino. Most of these guys are fly by nights, but many of them, such as some former crew members of my dad's and myself figured out that to make money, you need to be your own boss.

So these guys, most who don't even have a high school education, you think they are going to own a computer?

As to some earlier post on this thread....
Emission requirements: California has always been ahead of the game before feds require other states to follow.Not everybody born here in this state are enviroMental, tree huggers. However, I will look at a natural remedy WHEN practical. For example, the use of tobacco juice as a natural insecticide that I tell my clients to try.

California gas cans, that's a first for me. Try more like mandatory no spill cans. I don't see how you can build a non-venting gas can

I will admit that the maintenance side of this trade has gone to pots, specially the last 15 years. You survive because you charge a fair price and do excellent work.

The other thing, not trying to brag but to make a point, the route that I do is all incorporated within a 15 mile radius. So on average in perfect conditions, 1 of my crew of 2 will average me over $500 over my daily operating cost 52 weeks a year.

How do we achieve this, well for starters, if you've been in this trade over 30 years, you build up a route that is close to each other. The lawns, well in my area, the biggest residential lawn I do is a corner house that is only 2200 sq. ft.. On average, most of the lawns I take care of are less than 900 sq.ft.

Hmmmmmm........... 99.9% Latino lawn maintenance and no computer ownership........ This seems to answer my question about California LCO's posting on LawnSite. Thanks.
Old 05-02-2005, 11:28 PM
LawnSite Member

too Busy Mowing Lawns w/Reel Mowers and Trimming w/scissors and "blowing" w/Push Brooms to Post Much....... Pray it don't happen to you!!
"we" haven't gone that far down yet, and I say yet.. Actually with the sun shining all year long it's hard to sit at the pc for any length of time until the sun goes down. All in all this is a great site and i recommend it to all my fellow LCO friends.(why they don't sign up I don't know), they're probably lurking right now. jim
Old 05-03-2005, 12:07 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

What gets me, are the guys from Hawaii. TC is one. I feel sorry for these guys.... They have to deal with that terrible weather all year, then, there is the fresh air issue, not to mention the scenery and lifestyle. LOL There WAS one member on here, from a few years ago. I don't remember what island he was on, but he took care of a few nice hotels. I wish I could remember who that was.

Thank you, Dad - for always being the dad that you were. You truly are my hero. You always were.
Old 05-03-2005, 01:05 AM
LawnSite Member

This brown guy (1/2 Filipino, 1/2 Caucasian) speaks very good English, owns 2 computers, licensed, insured, 01 Dodge Ram, owns to much equipment to haul everything on my trailer, advertised only one time when starting full time lawn
business 9 1/2 years ago, works side by side with my wife, and pays taxes. Yes, there are a lot of want-a-be LCO,s here in Fresno (Ag capital of the world) but there is enough residential and commercial building going on to keep us in business. When you offer good service, word of mouth is the best and cheapest advertisement. My wife and I actually turn down new business.
Just my 2 cents.
When is it going to stop raining?
Old 05-03-2005, 01:45 AM
LawnSite Member

from cali here too!!! sure wish more of us would post on here!!! :blob3:
Old 05-03-2005, 03:27 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Have you guys seen the new lawn forum in latin? It seems to have quit a few members for being new.

Sorry, don't ask for a link because I can't post it. But you guys that frequent the other lawn related forums probably know what I am talking about.

I use Gopher Billing & Scheduling Software
Download your FREE fully functional 30-day
trial here.