Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 05-10-2005, 04:34 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by anothertractor
I have been thinking about this myself. Most of my customers at this time want the grass knocked down and that is it. I am waiting for those customers that do care. I have been doing only what the customer wants and charging them accordingly. I try to sell them other services like blowing out the beds and do a spring cleanup. They say No thanks. I have been known to remove the magnets from my truck so people don't see me servicing these horrible looking properties.
The problem with maintenance is most home owners can do it themselves. So all you have to offer them is time, time to do other things than work in there yards. So you need to sell your biz that way, as a time saver. Ask what they would prefer doing, spending the day on the boat thats sitting in there drive or the camper that there or work in the yard? Have a photo album with you to show them before and after pics of what you can do to make there house look great. Don't count on a web site they have to see it as your selling it to them. Sell it as a way for them to make money not pay out money, great looking landscaping increases property value up to 20% in some cases so instead of paying you a few thousand they are really making 15-20 k. Its all about sales 90% of what maintenance consist of is SALES if you can't sell it then you can't do it
BTW- nothings sweeter than honey
Old 05-10-2005, 04:38 PM
LawnSite Member

otd-spoken like a true business veteran. I'm proud of ya.

For A Great Looking Lawn Year-Round
Old 05-10-2005, 05:02 PM
LawnSite Member

Olderthandirt is my LS hero. Honest and no BS.

I do not give anything away anymore. Have one customer who is an OBGYN, wanted me to haul away her leaves from last fall which she has placed in piles. I said sure for $95. She goes "but you are hear already and it will cost you nothing more than your TIME". I asked her, if someone comes in for a checkup and gets a full physical does she bill more, "of course I am providing more service...ohhhh". I got paid.
Old 05-11-2005, 09:38 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Every lawn I mow has MY name on it. I don't leave till I'm satisfied. The bar is high for me, so I know if I leave satisfied, chances are they are too.