Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 05-15-2005, 11:34 AM
LawnSite Member

I know people do it, some here said they do. My opinion and a lot of others as well, is NEVER take a kid on a mower with the blades engaged. NEVER. No amount of prevention can prevent all accidents. All it takes is once. I have a friend who fell off a rider and was run over. He was 4. He could hold on, as someone said, but apparently not good enough. He now has a prosthetic leg.

This tread reminds me of a safety ad Deere put out a while back. they say "How do you stop a 200-mph blade?" "You dont."

The danger is enough without the blades moving.
Old 05-15-2005, 10:28 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

you don't have to be a parent to be STUPID.
I have them tailgating my trailer all the time. Or the brainsurgeons who cut me off then stop short in traffic. Or the genius who has a flatbed truck with his dog scrambling to stay on as he rounds a corner. Or the guy who popped his left tire, then pulled over, and rested the jack on the pavement and proceded to wrestle with the lug wrench while standing in traffic, or the people who change their tire to the donut, then drive that until it goes flat, or the guy who passed me as I stopped for a red light yesterday -- crossed the double yellow into oncoming traffic to get around me. I caught up to him at the next light 1/2 mile down the road.

The world is full of stupid people. Unfortunately, Darwin has been vexed.
Old 05-15-2005, 11:18 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

i saw one today, a little guy on the saddle of a guy while mowing. the kid must have been about 2.

not good!!
Old 05-16-2005, 12:03 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I can't even remember how many times I rode on my grandpas knee as we mowed the lawn on the old Sears Craftsman 8 hp 38" cut mower with the deck wheels that actually heald the deck off the ground. 3 speed and no brakes at all. No hills though. And my Grandpa was a stickler for saftey. He would always make sure I was not in the way of the dischargs side of the mower and would remind me often to look away even if I was some distance away. Yeah, everything about what was happening was dangerous but times were different even then.

I think too many people are making kids too soft these days, making them afraid of everything telling them that they can be hurt doing just about anything.
I have a couple lawns I mow where the kids are like this. Granted I don't want them out there following me or even outside for that matter, but for a 5 year old boy to cower in fear and start bawling when I mow, trim, or even have the blower idling is nuts. I know what's caused it too. One very over protective mother that's taught him to be afraid of everything so he dosn't ever get hurt.
Sorry, but getting hurt once in a while is part of growing up...

I know I won't worry about losing the lawn to him when he gets old enough to mow, he will either be in front of a video game or a computer 24/7 because he wil be afraid to go outside and get a bug bite.
Old 05-16-2005, 05:00 AM
Banned

I remember it like it was yesterday.I was sitting in my chair in front of my house having a cigarette when i was hit in the face with a rock.I lost my right eye thanks to a 16 year old kid that didnt walk the lawn before he mowed.I also rode on a rider with my father but the blades were off and he would have the tractor in first gear.Ive see guys riding with there kids in 4th or 5th gear.Thats just asking for trouble.
Old 05-16-2005, 07:10 AM
LawnSite Member

when my mom had my older sister, she was mowing the yard on a rider and had my sister on her back (on one of those gerry carriers) she was mowing around a swingset and caught a swing and it pulled the front end of the mower up in the air. it ended up stopping before toppleing over backward, but if it had it wouldve for sure killed my sister, maybe my mom too