Click for Weather

Old 05-12-2005, 10:55 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

i had to double cut all my lawns this week. Hate it Spring growth, wow
Old 05-13-2005, 05:14 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetwater
Exmark cures the woes of the double cut...ususally not required with my Exmarks. The Wright Stander I bought last year on a lark has to double cut EVERY TIME...I hate it now with a passion and intend to drop it in the lake if local dealer won't give credit for it. Double cutting costs money on already tight bid jobs and it is very frustrating.
I have an exmark too. What type of blades are you running? Been double cutting all week and the yards were at 6 days.
Old 05-13-2005, 06:42 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Looks like i will be doing even more double cutting ... the lawns i mowed at the beginning of the week looked long today when i passed them i can only imagine what they will look like monday with showers all weekend.
Old 05-13-2005, 09:22 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jt5019
Looks like i will be doing even more double cutting ... the lawns i mowed at the beginning of the week looked long today when i passed them i can only imagine what they will look like monday with showers all weekend.
The yards I did this past Monday got cut today again. They were long but I did not have double cut them.But at the beginning of the week I did.
Old 05-13-2005, 09:33 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I have read posts in the past about double cutting using the regular mowing height on the first pass, and a slightly higher setting on the second pass. Why? Is the clipping distribution on the second pass better with a higher deck setting?

Typically I have mowed the highest on the first pass, lowering the deck slightly for the second pass. My thinking was to create the fewest clippings on the first pass with the higher setting. On the second pass, the small amount being mowed off will be, by definition, short clippings and not a problem.

Thoughts/comments about using two height settings and why ....
Old 05-13-2005, 09:41 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpp
The yards I did this past Monday got cut today again. They were long but I did not have double cut them.But at the beginning of the week I did.
I would have liked to do them again today but no way would they let me mow twice in the same week.I have only been able to pull that off on a couple customers who have chemlawn spraying the crap out of the lawns.

Normally i would cut a little higher on the first cut then cut to my normal hight and almost all of the the clippings would be gone.This way has worked well for me.Id rather no double cutting at all but that time will come in the summer.
Old 05-13-2005, 09:41 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger
I have read posts in the past about double cutting using the regular mowing height on the first pass, and a slightly higher setting on the second pass. Why? Is the clipping distribution on the second pass better with a higher deck setting?

I have done the method as stated above. I think with the higher setting on the second pass the blades are not having to go threw as much grass and it helps the blade speed imo.Hence as you put it better clipping distribution.
Old 05-16-2005, 05:36 AM
Banned

ChemLawn here in florida sucks.I had to resod a yard because of those yahoos.The ****** sprayed to much and it killed the whole lawn.Sometimes i wonder where there brains are.I have a good friend that does spray work and i tell you what he does a great job and the lawns look great when he is done.But most people want ChemLawn and when they kill it the home owner wants me to resod it.I always make out good when ChemLawn is a round.LOL
Old 05-16-2005, 09:28 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger

Typically I have mowed the highest on the first pass, lowering the deck slightly for the second pass. My thinking was to create the fewest clippings on the first pass with the higher setting. On the second pass, the small amount being mowed off will be, by definition, short clippings and not a problem.

Here's my reasoning: If you are doing a larger place and the conditions are somewhat dry, the clippings dry out enough so that when you run things over the second time the clippings just about turn to powder (again, works best when really sunny and warm), Lifting the deck on the second pass ensures that you are just recutting and shredding. Doing one pass higher than the next lower seems to create more moisture still leaving a little clumping here and there in heavy growth. Maybe it makes no differance, probably all in my head but thats my theory.