Register free!

Old 03-22-2005, 10:09 AM
LawnSite Member

Pond Liners

We have a new employee that has some experience with ponds and he mentioned to me that the liner could be the stuff that a roofer uses and that is cheaper. Any thoughts on this?
Old 03-22-2005, 02:59 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Not a good idea

Don't do it. Buy pond liner and you'll thank yourself later on.

Vic
Old 03-22-2005, 04:19 PM
LawnSite Member

My guy is recommending epdm 45 mils 15x50 cost is around 240.00$ .34 cents per square foot
Old 03-22-2005, 04:27 PM
LawnSite Member

"your guy" doesn't realize that roof liner is toxic to fish and plants. If you want to build an outdoor bath tub, go for it.
Old 03-22-2005, 05:17 PM
LawnSite Member

he has been using it for years and has had good luck with them...I have seen the pics with nice fish and lovely plants
Old 03-23-2005, 01:20 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Old 05-16-2005, 01:07 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vharrison2
My guy is recommending epdm 45 mils 15x50 cost is around 240.00$ .34 cents per square foot
That sounds a little cheap for fish safe pond liner, but not impossible. If your new guy used to work for an installer that was buying say, 5 or 6 rolls a month, his price might be that good.

Victor is right though, if it doesn't say fish-safe right on it, it isn't, and will emit toxic junk that will kill your fish and plants. One idiot in our area who uses the roof liner sells people on the idea that fish and plants will always die, and replacing them is part of the process.

One of my good pond builders jokes that the idiot is his best sales guy, and a good percentage of his work last year was replacing and rebuilding this moron's water features.

Pond building is a fun and profitable business, if you price yourself right. The extra $.05, $.10, or $.15 per square foot for a good liner shouldn't be killing the budget on your ponds and costing you sales. A majority of the people you compete with will be using the right liner. Wether or not tyour competitors price themselves right is an issue that every contractor will face til' the end of time. I say don't use inferior materials to save a buck now, it will hurt your business in the long run.
Old 05-16-2005, 08:49 PM
LawnSite Member

Pond liner, roofing both made from epdm. I have used the roofing for about 8 years in a number of ponds the first at my home all have fish, frogs, plants and they multiply to the point I can supply plant life to new ponders.
Old 05-17-2005, 02:37 AM
LawnSite Member

elkscott,

Your roof liner and the roof liner I see here may be two very different products. By the same token, your roof liner and the fish-safe liner we sell could be one in the same product. I put a certain amount of faith in Firestone, and their reps, who have educated me, my staff, and many of our customers on the difference between a fish-safe liner and roofing liner. The roofing liner I've seen that the contractor I was referring to in my last post uses has a somewhat greasy feel to it, and isn't a 45 mil rubber, it's quite a bit thinner. Aqua-Flo has only been selling pond equipment for 4 years, I've only built a handful of ponds and worked on a few others, maybe two dozen all total. I am by no means an expert. Mr roofing liner builds pretty good ponds, with sufficient filtration, plant mix, and pump sizing for his applications (water garden vs koi pond, etc), but his fish and plants struggle to live past a few weeks. I don't want it to sound like I'm bitter because we don't get to sell him liner. We sell him some other equipment, and I've called him on the roof liner issue to his face.

My point to all this is the up front budget cutting and scrimping usually hurts the customer, the contractor, and the pond building industry in the long run.
Old 05-17-2005, 12:04 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vharrison2
Just Liners in OK sells Firestone Pond Gard for $.36 a foot. Doesnít seem very smart to risk your companyís reputation via negative word of mouth for just $.02 a foot.