Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 05-12-2005, 11:28 PM
LawnSite Member

Snapper FastCut/FastCut XL?

I've been trying to research the TONS of different options of Residential ZTR's mowers out there. I would like to keep it in the $4,000-$5,000 range max. I have about 2.5 acres with quite a few trees.

So far, I have looked at the Snapper ZT20500BV (FastCut) and HZT21480BV (FastCut XL) models at a local dealer. The FastCut XL looks really nice, has 21HP B&S Vanguard, 7ga. welded frame, 7ga. 48" fabbed deck, dual Hydro-Gear 10A Pumps and Hydro-Gear HGM-12P motors and has a 9mph speed rating. The Fastcut model isn't as beefy on the frame and deck, but looks really good, it has 20 HP B&S Vanguard, 50" stamped deck, but has dual pumps and motors and 7mph speed rating. The Fastcut was $4500, the Fastcut XL was $4900.

The other I checked out is a Cub Cadet Z-Force 50. 23 HP Kohler Command 50" deck, welded frame. But, it uses the IZT integrated hydro drive. These Retail for $3999.

Any opinions on these or alternates in that price range? It's a real pain trying to find pricing on some of the other models out there. Any ideas where I can find that info? Sorry for the long post and thanks for helping a newb....
Old 05-14-2005, 04:58 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Snapper builds some very good ztr's. Soend the extra money and go with the Fastcut XL. Its a heavier duty machine commercial machine where the Fastcut is a lighter duty commercial mower.
Old 05-19-2005, 01:16 PM
LawnSite Member

Snapper Fast Cut XL

I test drove this mower and was very impressed with it for the price. However, the 48 inch model that I looked at did not appear to allow the deck to float up more than about an inch from its low setting. The chain suspension brackets on the deck appeared to hit the suspension brackets on the lifting mechanism at about 1 inch of travel. The dealer also sold a different brand of mower and that brand had addressed the problem by off-setting the deck suspension brackets so they would not hit until the deck traveled about 3 inches from a low setting. Is the the ability for the deck to flex up and down more than an inch at low setting important?
Old 05-19-2005, 11:50 PM
LawnSite Member

I noticed the same thing when looking at it. I'm still shopping around. The XL has some really nice features for the price. 7ga. fabbed deck, heavy duty welded 7 ga frame, dual pumps and motors.