Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 05-22-2005, 07:23 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Cleanup and woodchips

Yesterday I did a cleanup at a nice little cottage on a lake. The entire cleanup area is about 1/3 acre.
There are your standard large rocks strewn around and of course a small rowboat to avoid, but in general its pretty straight forward. The issue is woodchips. The ENTIRE are is covered with them.
When I looked at it, I figured 1 1/2 hours just to get the leaves done---no pickup or disposal needed. I figured I'd be done in less than an hour so the 1 1/2 hrs was safe. I figured a few quick cycles with the backpack blower being careful to just blow the leaves away from the chips. In the end, it took just over two hours.

What I didn't figure was the amount of wet (soaked) leaves underneath... I don't think this is one yrs accumulation. Not to mention several neighborhood dogs must be using the place for a toilet all winter.
So the real question is how much time would you guys add for really taking your time to separate the leaves from the woodchips considering that you need a lot of cfm to move the wet leaves but don't want to blow the chip away???? It seemed to take forever! Thanks.
Old 05-22-2005, 09:44 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I would have errored on the side of blowing some woodchips away. Then sell them some new woodchips.