Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 05-23-2005, 05:51 PM
LawnSite Member

Scotts mower wheels bind transmission problem??

I have a Scotts mower made by Murray. It is self propelled at the rear and the back 2 wheels will not free wheel going around turns. For example the drive seems to be positraction (to borrow a car term) but this makes it so I cannot turn easily to go back the other way. Scotts model 21997x8a serial so3453974289. Any ideas out there...ever run into this??
Old 05-24-2005, 11:03 AM
LawnSite Member

unless there's something snagging in the wheel dust guard, you're definitely looking at a transmission problem. if transmission oil levels look fine, a new transmission from murray is going to be about $190. the part number for that is murray #672270
Old 05-24-2005, 06:10 PM
LawnSite Member

hey thanks for the insight. My local Mechanic told me that there is a plastic gear in the transmission that often breaks. Last night I took it apart and found that it is all metal and there are no signs of dammage. The trany is a "true-torq" 1e1210-24120. Additionally, there is a solid axle which leads me to believe that if it is even intended to free wheel around turns it must do so with a rachet mechanisim. Can anyone confirm that this is not intended to be a solid axle from the factory??? Hopefully the added info helps.
Old 05-24-2005, 06:52 PM
LawnSite Member

i don't have the physical transmission in front of me, but the diagrams show that the axle is a solid bar connected straight to the transmission, but separated at the point of connection to the tranny. you can look at the diagram yourself too, go to www.partstree.com, go to the repair parts store, select the murray catalog, 2000 models, lawn & garden, walk-behind mowers, 21" cut, 21997x8a, then finally drive and wheel assembly. you can zoom in closer to get a better view. if you do find that it's the axle that's giving you problems, we sell those too
Old 05-25-2005, 10:48 AM
LawnSite Member

Fixed it!! Let me tell you what I found. I dissasembled the spur gears on each side of the axle ends and found a floating pin that allows free wheeling around turns. This had bound up and simply needed lubrication on each side. A little Penetrating oil to clean it up and some liquid wrench to maintain lubrication and I am back in business.

Partstree, thanks for being here. You have a great site and it is a tremendos resource for buying parts online. We will stay in touch.