Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 05-23-2005, 06:12 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

so explain to me how this works. are there baffles that you can lower from the operator position? you got any pics of the underside of the deck?

A student taking a philosophy class had a single question on his final: "What is courage?" The student wrote: "This", signed it, and turned it in.

in Iraq, ever since the beginning of time, men have fought for, land, power, money, and greed. but what are we fighting for? .... we are fighting for something new, we are fighting, because it is the right thing to do.
Old 05-24-2005, 10:51 AM
LawnSite Member

As requested, here are some pics of the underside of the mower. The first one is of the side discharge chute closed. The second one is with the baffles open and the third with the baffles closed. The fourth one is the MOD sticker on the deck. Basically, close the chutes and you mulch, open the chutes and clippings are discharged.

TC,
if you notice in one of the earlier pics, there is a handle which opens and closes the chutes.
Old 05-24-2005, 03:40 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

TC Likes! TC Likes!

how much do those run? I heard that exmark was coming out with a mulch on demand, but I don't know how long it will take them.

A student taking a philosophy class had a single question on his final: "What is courage?" The student wrote: "This", signed it, and turned it in.

in Iraq, ever since the beginning of time, men have fought for, land, power, money, and greed. but what are we fighting for? .... we are fighting for something new, we are fighting, because it is the right thing to do.
Old 05-25-2005, 12:52 PM
LawnSite Member

TC,

Depending on availability and programs, dealers should charge around $7750-8000 for these mowers. There were a limited number of these machines made last year so availability would probably be an issue. Personally, I like the concept and I hope Deere produces another MOD deck in the future.
Old 05-25-2005, 03:48 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

well, I realize that it is only a prototype, but I think that the discharge will be inhibited by those baffles that come into the center of the deckfrom the back, I think that there should be "movable" baffles on both ends, so that you can actually discharge well when you want to. I also realize that doing that means more parts to break, but it's better than having a half discharge and half mulching mower all the time. I think that this deck would really slow you down in heavy growth, but I also think that during the summer and fall, it would work very well.

Old 05-25-2005, 10:15 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks for the pics, horn1004 !

It's a good concept. Those of us who mulch "exclusively" could benefit from this deck in wet conditions, for then we could 'let 'er fly!' and if necessary mulch on the double cut.

My concerns are (1) does the MOD mulch as well as a regular 7 Iron with a mulch kit installed, (2) does it need cleaning (scraping) - one of the <i>amazing</i> features of the 7 Iron is it's propensity to stay clean.

Is JD looking for a 'test' guinea pig? If this deck won't perform, will a regular 7 Iron fit the mower/frame?
Old 05-26-2005, 07:59 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

envy lawn service has already tested the prototype, and said that it takes some serious scraping at the end of the day.

my exmark stays very clean underneath the deck, and it would be a pain to have to go under there each day. with the exmark, I only have to scrape once a week.

Old 05-26-2005, 08:11 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TClawn
envy lawn service has already tested the prototype, and said that it takes some serious scraping at the end of the day.

So what....Envy lives in North carolina, my cutting conditions and grass types differ from his. Envy is also the one that said John Deeres do not stripe!!!

2013 haulmark 18' trailer
2013 John Deere 52' walkbehind
2012 Gator with skid sprayer
2010 Turfco T-3000
2008 JD 997
2006 JD 647a
2004 JD 757 w/ 3 bag & Iron MCS
2002 JD 757 w/ 2 bag MCS
2002 JD 757
Stihl, Echo, Tanka 2 strokes
Big Tex trailers
Tons of other equipment