Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 05-24-2005, 08:52 PM
LawnSite Member

Urgent Request--Turf Tracer HP vibration

Was using my TTHP today and while cutting it developed a vibration when blade is engaged. When blades are off runs fine.

I have checked; Blades, no nicks and balanced. Pulleys above deck seem fine, loosened belt and all seems ok. Looked at pulleys at rear of mower and they look ok and don't feel loose.
I don't use this mower but about once per day, my primary is a 52" Lazer. The tthp only has about 50 hours on it.

Thursday, I need to use the mower for two jobs so your help will be greatly appreciated.
Old 05-24-2005, 09:01 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Have you checked the spindles for play?
Sometimes you get an early failure.

If none of this is it, change blades, use a different style, and tighten them well.

If the problem is still present, you will need someone to help you. Have someone hold the safety for you so you can have the mower sitting still while the blades are engaged.

Be SAFE... but look for belt deflection... guitar string effect....
This can happen several places along the belt routing.

"If you place a low value upon yourself, rest assured..... the world will not raise your price."

"The bitterness of poor quality lingers on long after the sweetness of cheap price is forgotten"
Old 05-24-2005, 09:02 PM
LawnSite Member

Try checking the tension on the belt that actuates the blades. There is a place under the left rear of the mower that say where it should be adjusted to. When I've had new belts they have needed to be retightened after a little while. Hope that's it.
Old 05-24-2005, 10:26 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

You may need to take the belt off to get a good idea of any spindle play. Also check the belt, the whole belt. You could have a "bit" taken out of the belt causing this.
Old 05-25-2005, 08:04 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks for all your input.
I had checked most if not all the things suggested and found nothing.
Loaded it up and took it to the shop, tech. that works on mowers was out having hand surgery, would be maybe a week, that wouldn't't work. Took it back home.
Started at front and worked back checking all pulleys, belts, bolts, & linkage, nothing. Started at back, working to front started checking "clutch", belt and belt was fine but in process found the problem: one inch by half inch piece of oak limb wedged in "v" of pulley. It was wedged good but got it out and all is smooth again.
Old 05-25-2005, 08:15 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Figured it was belt deflection.

"If you place a low value upon yourself, rest assured..... the world will not raise your price."

"The bitterness of poor quality lingers on long after the sweetness of cheap price is forgotten"
Old 05-26-2005, 10:52 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Ck. rear left in back of mower( near left drive wheel ) pump there is a adjustment for blade engagement turnbuckle. there is a small hole to see if your blade engagement is out of alignment. when your machine is new the belts stretches and needs adjustment within 50 hrs.if you look in the manual it will explain this better.any problems e-mail me and I will tell you what page in manual to look on Good luck, John