Old 05-29-2005, 10:06 PM
LawnSite Member

well,when i get finished here in the back yard i will start on the front..lol
Attached Images

Old 05-30-2005, 09:56 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by topsites
Ok there are only a few things I can cover because my specialty is lawncare and mulch, and what follows is based on your pictures so here goes:

You need a broad-cast spreader! If you do not have one, you will need to buy one or maybe you can borrow one from a neighbor.

- To make the grass look good, run to Home Depot and buy:
4 to 6 bags of pelletized Lime (they're about 3 bucks each, 40lb. bags).
- The lime is in white-green bags and make sure you don't get the powdered cheap stuff because the powder SUX with the spreader.
hope is help,
Pascal
and i almost forgot to mention pascal...man! the limestone pellets were 2.83 at home depot..a very cheap fix indeed ...instant over nite results for me ..thank u..every other landscaper in town always tried to get to pay for the soil samples (which is but more than 40 bucks in my town i think around 60)or just buy this high tech lawn care product for 50-80 dollars a month..i guess with you being in virginia and me in nc we share the same habitat basicly so what works for you worked for me..i just want to show a fewbefore and after pics and i will quit adding to this thread and leave it for future readers so here and thanks every one. this pic is a freshly watered lawn before lime
Attached Images

Old 05-30-2005, 10:09 AM
LawnSite Member

now this is a freshly watered lawn 1 day after lime..i have not hit the back with lime .only the fert you suggested on the back lawn..i wanted to see the outcome..if you look close the back turned a little greener but it is still pale back there by all the bushes compared to the front..
Attached Images

Old 05-30-2005, 10:16 AM
LawnSite Member

now i also have been told not to fert a centipede and not to add lime..what is so ironic i have been told only lime a centipede lawn and not to add fert. .this advice was from 2 different elderly womon that both had awesome yards that i did some plumbing addition for...evidently ..lime is the ticket in my case...thanks for the help every one..
Old 05-31-2005, 03:26 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

In Ohio it costs like $12 to get your soil analyzed by the extension service. Is that not normal? I never did it in Michigan. Seems like lime could have hurt the lawn just as easily as it could have helped it.
Old 05-31-2005, 05:37 PM
LawnSite Member

i don't know it could be 12 dollars but i am not a landscaper...i think i just run upon crooks all the time that want to test and see what they can get from me to be totaly honest...but every one i have asked down here since i have been visiting this forum and asking alot of qyestions are just homeowners and not landscapers use lime and highly recomend it because of all the pine that makes the acid content high...majority of the people i talk to highly recomend lime for centipede.and i have heard from everyone that lime will not hurt the yard..and all these people have beautiful yards..i have learned that high acid soil is a very common issue in this area and is usually the problem besides needing to aireate or debatch,which is what i will do next..