Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 05-29-2005, 08:58 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

I bought a Multitek 2025 last winter.

$43,000 with 200 hours on it.

I've got access to about 300 cord of oak wood that's dead that I'm buying from the guy for $10 / cord.

If I get the wood hauled in, it's about $70-90 / cord.

I have to go cut this down and haul it out, it's about 15 miles from my house.

I've got a dump trailer and a tractor where I can haul 2 cords / trip.

My pops and I go and cut days where it isn't too cold, too snowy, etc. and stack the wood up.

Days where it's too cold, I'll just haul wood since there's a heated cab on the Kubota.

The area where we're cutting is in the middle of nowhere, so we just leave the tractor out there.

Anyways, the month of February we cut approx. 50 full cord of trees down and hauled them home.

The month of March we split wood practically every day.

If you have 2 guys that are able to move somewhat quickly, you cannot keep up with the machine, it'll split wood as fast as you're able to load it into it.

We could split up to 5 full cord / day.

In about 25 days I've split 40 of the 50 cord, which around here is about $12,000 worth of wood at $300 / cord delivered and stacked.

I know right now the machine isn't worth the money, but now I still have the energy (sometimes) to subsidize the firewood with the lawn mowing money.

I'm looking ahead about 10-15 years when my sons will be old enough to take over the lawn mowing, then I'll be able to run the firewood business full time and not do quite the amount of physical labor.

As of this moment, my expenses on 100 full cords of wood are about $24,000, and the revenue is about $30,000. This is about the amount of wood I'm going to do per year.

Last year we didn't get started until the winter was almost over, so we weren't able to get to the 100 cord mark.

These expenses also include $4,000 / year for advertising fees, which I figure in 5 years there should be a customer list grown to about 300 people, so that expense can be elimitated, and also about $11,000 / year in the cost of paying for the processor.

After the first 5 years, just like any other business, it should be streamlined enough to where I'll have about $12,000 / year in expenses and the revenue should be around $33,000.

Again, it's not alot of money for 3-4 solid months of work, but when you're sitting around doing nothing but waiting for snow to fall, it's another way to pick up $15-20k while not having to work for someone else.

It would also go much faster if I were to have the wood hauled in, but then the cost of the wood itself would be about $8,000, where as now with the cost of gas, time, paying for the wood, it's about $2,500 / 100 cord of wood.
Attached Images

Last edited by LwnmwrMan22; 05-29-2005 at 09:07 AM.
Old 05-29-2005, 07:16 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

That's one serious splitter! Sure beats my 12hp home made. How many cords can you split per hour?
Old 05-29-2005, 08:56 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

God bless Texas.

I get my wood for free. If it is all cut up (but not split), I just haul it away. If it needs to be cut up (entire trees, large branches), I get paid to take it. People don't really value it down here.

Sure, there is a guy who sells it cut, split and stacked for about $50 a truckload, but I just got two truckloads of oak for free. Homeowners just want to get it out of their yard. Very few people burn it. There are tons of houses around here without fireplaces and certainly no stoves to speak of.

I can heat my house in the winter with about a cord of wood. It doesn't get too cold down here, but it freezes from time to time and people certainly run their heaters plenty from November to March. Not me. I've got a giant "heatilator" style fireplace and our heat rarely comes on.
Congressman: I want to go to war.
All of Congress: I want to go to war.
Dick Cheney: I was the first one who wanted to go to war.
Old 05-29-2005, 11:19 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mosmgras
That's one serious splitter! Sure beats my 12hp home made. How many cords can you split per hour?

With 3 guys working, we can split up to 2 1/2 cords / hour.
Old 06-02-2005, 01:26 AM
LawnSite Member

haha, yeah, this house being built behind my ranch (oh they're in a 100 yr flood plain, haha) anyways, they just cleared like at least 5 or 6 yrds of oak and maybe twice that of cedar, like you said, we can't get rid of it quick enough here in s.texas, i could cut down oak for a year and still have more for the next 10!

if it ain't broke, drink till it is