Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 05-29-2005, 08:11 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I agree with the other guys. I would get one that can be wired 110 and 220. If you should get 220 volts into your shop, the motor can be rewired to accept the higher current. Remember, an electric motor will draw 50% less amperage on 220 volts as apposed to 110 volts. Depends on how much you use it, this may save you a couple of bucks on your power bill.
Old 05-30-2005, 04:27 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I'm looking at a few, and I know I want to go with a belt driven and oil cooled, as I know they would last longer and run quieter. I'm looking at a24 gal. Ingersoll (a bit pricey), but it can be wired both ways. It produces 5.7 CFM @ 90 PSI.The Coleman doesn't look bad - 27 gal. and 5.7 @ 90.
There is a place here in town called R.E.B. Tools, and they always have great pricec on stuff. This guy services alot of different compressors and once told me that there are like only 2 or 3 manufacturers that even make compressors (Cambell-Hausfield being one of them). Anyway, he has certainly steered me in the right direction before. He told that no matter what I buy, what to watch out for. He also sells a brand named Puma. These seem like a pretty decent package.

Thank you, Dad - for always being the dad that you were. You truly are my hero. You always were.
Old 05-30-2005, 10:40 AM
LawnSite Member

I have a Porter-Cable, 6 peak hp, oiled compressor. It's a 110 a and runs off a 15 amp fuse.

It works great with the impact wrench and impact ratchet. The only time it's gets taxed is when I use a die grinder or the air powered pressure washer gun I have. As long as you only let the unit run for 30 minutes out of an hour, you should be set.

Some day, I'd like to get a 220 unit that's rated for continuous duty.
Old 06-03-2005, 01:13 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

I have a (yes I said it) a Crapsman, no I'll have to call it a Craftsman cause it has been a great one, 6HP 25 Gal 110/220 that I have had since 1991 and use it all the time and it still looks and runs like brand new. I use all MAC air tools with it and it pushes them like a champ at 90PSI.

A friend of mine has a trophy wife……..apparently she wasn’t 1st place though

...Amateurs built the Ark but professionals built the Titanic...

...YOU CAN'T FIX STUPID...
Old 06-03-2005, 02:27 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

The Craftsmen that you have,...is it one of the invector type (direct drive), or is it belt driven?

Thank you, Dad - for always being the dad that you were. You truly are my hero. You always were.
Old 06-03-2005, 03:44 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

The Craftsman ones used to be made by Devillibis. Not sure anymore. Look at Harbor Frieght Tools, they generally have good prices on compressors.
Old 06-03-2005, 11:33 PM
LawnSite Member

I am also looking for a compressor and would like some help from those that already have one. I'm looking at the rigid twin stack models. It will be just the right size for what I need to do. My question is there is one that has an oiled compressor and one is oil free. The oil free has a higher CFM output. Which is better? Will I run into problem down the road if I go with the oil free model?
Thanks
Jhawk71
Old 06-04-2005, 12:31 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

An oil filled pump has pistons like a conventional internal combustion engine. An oil-less type pump has a diaphram that doesn't travel in the same manner as a conventional piston type, that is, it doesn't slide up and down inside a cylinder. The absence of this sliding motion results in less heat and doesn't require oil to lubricate. A piston type pump will produce more cubic feet of air per revolution than a similar oil-less type because of the increase in stroke length.
As far as what you need, it depends on what type of air tools (if any) you are planning on using. To inflate a tire requires very low cfm output while the typical impact wrench requires 8-12 cfm at no load and 20+ cfm at full load. This doesn't mean that a compressor that will produce say only 10 cfm will not run an impact wrench. The tank will hold a reserve of air that will allow the tool to operate for a short time. Once the reserve pressure is below the tools requirement it will loose torque/speed. A compressor that produces less cfm than the tool requires will not be able to 'keep up' once the reserve air is depleted. When this occurs, you will have to wait until the compressor builds up the air volume and pressure to resume use of the tool.
If you are planning on using the compressor only occasionally, I would suggest something that produces 12 to 15 cfm with a tank capacity of at least 30 gallons. This type would be able to operate an impact wrench or similar tool for several minutes, plenty long enough to remove a drive wheel or mower blades.