Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 05-17-2005, 08:49 PM
LawnSite Member

23 Kaw runs on 1 cylinder When hot

I have a Hustler mini with a 23 hp Kaw. It starts and runs fine when cold or just warm. After cutting a lawn and loading on trailer and unload 10-15 minutes later it runs on only one jug. If I keep it at full throttle after 20-40 secounds the other jug kicks in. I think this is a no brainier and had the dealer order 2 coil assemblies. Does any one else have any ideas ? Postscript: If it is running on one jug and I pull the outboard plug wire the motor dies. If I pull the inboard plug there is no change and I have been noticing a slight loss of power while cutting a day or two before this started to happen.

Thanks

Dan the lawn care man

2 52" Hustler Z's
Every thing Sithl
21" Snapper Commercial
6 x 15 Enclosed FreedomTrailer
97 C1500
Licensed and Insured

The more toys the better
Old 05-17-2005, 09:52 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Check for spark on the suspected cylinder when this condition occurs. If you have spark at the plug its possible that you have a valve hanging up. You might do a compression check on the problem cylinder when this condition occurs, particularly if you have spark at the plug.
Old 05-17-2005, 10:29 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Looks like dutch1 has got you pointed in the right direction,I don't know what brand spark plugs your running but I've seen NGK's cause the same problem.
Keep in mind a plug could spark out of the engine but not under compression.

"Why go out preserved when you can go out beat up, worn out, sliding in sideways screaming, Holy Sh!t What A Ride" !!!
Old 05-17-2005, 10:38 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I just had to put on two new ignition coils on my 02 60" Lazer with a 23hp Kawi with just under 600 hours on it. It was fowling out both plugs when this was happening, once I replaced the coils it has run great ever since this season. On my 02 Metro HP with a 15 hp Kawi it took forever to start up one morning, I had to pull the plugs and burn the fuel off of them then it finally started but was running like crap. I pulled on plug wire off and had no change in the way the engine was running. I replaced the coil on that side and started it up and it ran fine.
Old 05-19-2005, 03:05 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilla Gorilla
I just had to put on two new ignition coils on my 02 60" Lazer with a 23hp Kawi with just under 600 hours on it. It was fowling out both plugs when this was happening, once I replaced the coils it has run great ever since this season. On my 02 Metro HP with a 15 hp Kawi it took forever to start up one morning, I had to pull the plugs and burn the fuel off of them then it finally started but was running like crap. I pulled on plug wire off and had no change in the way the engine was running. I replaced the coil on that side and started it up and it ran fine.

I just replaced coils in the Kaw, Ran it hard today, Never missed a beat! My Kaw has 560 hours on it, so when I read your reply, it gave me more confidence that I had diagnosed it right !!!

2 52" Hustler Z's
Every thing Sithl
21" Snapper Commercial
6 x 15 Enclosed FreedomTrailer
97 C1500
Licensed and Insured

The more toys the better
Old 06-04-2005, 09:34 AM
LawnSite Member

had the same problem on our 23 hp kaw. Ran great when cold when the engine got hot only one cylinder. We originaly thought a sticky valve because the repair shop owner said he has never replaced a coil on that engine before however it was a coil.
food for thought always talk to the mechanics not the service mngr who never works on the stuff