Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 06-06-2005, 12:04 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Lightbulb Golf Course Advertisement

is it a good idea to advertise at a golf course, like a country club? i'm getting a part time job there and thinkin about asking supertindent if i could hang some flyers up somewhere or pass some business cards out..

do any of you guys do such advertising? alot of rich ppl play golf, so i think its a good idea.

Rig: 2004 ford ranger 4.0 ltr. & 10X8 trailer
Equipment: 2005 Bobcat 61'' ztr 31hp
torro 21'' super recycler
torro 21'' recycler
Stihl FS 81
Echo Backpack 403T blower
Old 06-06-2005, 12:59 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

As a golfer I have never seen anyone try it. There is an unspoken ediquite to golf courses. Some are more lax than others but this sort of thing is just not typically done. Last thing I want when I golfing is to have someone trying to push something on to me. I go to relax and get away from all that type of stuff. Golf related stuff in the Pro shop and beverage cart drivers are expected of course.
Old 06-06-2005, 01:19 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

If they havea bulletin board and employees are allowed to post on it go for it. Couldn't hurt.

When I had an organic lawn care company in Vermont the best place I hung ads was Daycare Centers. Posted "Does your child play on a Kid Safe lawn" and some stats on pesticides and children and boy did the phone ring.

Eating up the competition!
Old 06-06-2005, 04:06 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

If there is a bulletin board and your boss does not care, go for it. But dont pass out cards to golfers, most, like me, are there to relax and enjoy the day, not be sold something. The last thing a guy wants is coming off 18 and a bogey that had him shoot 80 instead of 79 and get a card about lawn care.
989-277-9064 (cell)
Old 06-06-2005, 04:17 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Yeah, what I meant by bulletin board posting is that is about all I would do. I live on a golf course and if one of the greenskeepers came up to me while I was playing or hanging at the club house after a round selling lawn care I would probably not enjoy it. Not that I don't want people to succeed but a golf membership is for playing golf, relaxation and hiding a bit from the daily grind. If the course has a newsletter that they send out they often sell ads in them. Advertising in that would not be considered bad and if allowed a mention that you are a professional turfgrass tech at the club would only enhance the image of your business. Homeowners believe that courses have magical abilities to grow grass when in reality it is all good irrigation and a ton of chemicals.

Eating up the competition!
Old 06-07-2005, 05:08 PM
LawnSite Member

Best way to advertise at a golf course is to play there or become a member. Befriend those "rich people". Through normal conversation the topic of profession wil come up and you then have their full attention in a very non-threatenting way. They are more likely to you there golf buddy than the guy who cuts the grass at the golf course at their own home.

Shawn
Old 06-07-2005, 05:21 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
in reality it is all good irrigation and a ton of chemicals.
There are many more variables to maintaining a golf course than simply irrigation and a lot of chemicals. Surely being in the green industry you don't like your customers to think all you do is cut some grass and it takes no skill other than pushing two sticks forward full speed ahead?
Old 06-11-2005, 08:17 AM
LawnSite Member

I think there are more middle class folks playing golf these days. And remember, most rich folks got that way by screwing the little guy and pinching every penny (we're not talking family money or real wealth, just what most Americans perceive to be wealth).
5 gal. pail of elbow grease