Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 06-13-2005, 08:16 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

So what would you charge?

I get this question from a guy i have done work for before but never for his lawn. He wanted to know what i would charge to cut his lawn, so i asked him if it would be a one time deal or weekly. He then said either one time or once every couple of weeks or maybe once a month. I know he just bought a tractor so i was unclear as to why he would want me to do the lawn for him. I asked him how the tractor was and he said fine, i asked him how come he does not want to cut it anymore (this whole conversation became clear with his answer) He says i do but my nephew is starting a business and wants to know how much a lawn would go for So there i am hoping to get a new account and to find out i was used for a pricing guide for his nephew. I told him that i only do weekly cuts and to do his lawn would be $35. I hope he tells his nephew that, and then his nephew tries to give estimates off his uncles lawn. I over estimated alot and hope his nephew will do the same when giving out estimates, i am hoping he does not get them because his uncle did say that he thought it was alot just to do his lawn. Or it could backfire and he gets the lawns and the $$$
Old 06-13-2005, 08:31 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I wonder why there are so many threads complaining about newbies bidding wrong? I would have told him the truth. I would have told him what I know the current price range to be. I don't know why it is such a carefully guarded secret.
Congressman: I want to go to war.
All of Congress: I want to go to war.
Dick Cheney: I was the first one who wanted to go to war.
Old 06-13-2005, 08:35 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

It might have something to do with being used. If he wanted to he could of told me the situation before he asked for the price, he didn't because he knew what he was doing. And if he did come right out and ask i would have felt better and gave a more acurate answer.
Old 06-13-2005, 11:54 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by pagefault
I wonder why there are so many threads complaining about newbies bidding wrong? I would have told him the truth. I would have told him what I know the current price range to be. I don't know why it is such a carefully guarded secret.
Only time I got a prob with it is when someone tries to be slick about getting to the price... If they ask me outright, tell me they're trying to do it themselves, whatever we need SO much help, I got 57 grass accounts solo and still growing ...
Old 06-14-2005, 06:17 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawns Lawns
It might have something to do with being used. If he wanted to he could of told me the situation before he asked for the price, he didn't because he knew what he was doing. And if he did come right out and ask i would have felt better and gave a more acurate answer.
Maybe he tried calling people and asking them outright and got the runaround. I don't know. Either way, my bad for singling you out. It's just that this seems to be the prevailing attitude:

"I'm thinking of starting a lawn care business. What is the going rate per acre in my area?"

"Son, where is your insurance? Are you licensed? What kind of equipment do you use? What are your expenses? What is your mother's maiden name? What is your shoe size? What makes you think you can make it in this business? I see people like you come and go every year. Here, let me give you a two hour lecture on how to run a business."

I do smaller residential lots (less than 1/3 acre). The typical price range around here seems to be $20-40, with most in the $25-35 range. You need to know your expenses to know if you can afford to charge in that range and to know where in that range you want to be.
Congressman: I want to go to war.
All of Congress: I want to go to war.
Dick Cheney: I was the first one who wanted to go to war.
Old 06-14-2005, 08:22 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pagefault
Maybe he tried calling people and asking them outright and got the runaround. I don't know. Either way, my bad for singling you out. It's just that this seems to be the prevailing attitude:

"I'm thinking of starting a lawn care business. What is the going rate per acre in my area?"

"Son, where is your insurance? Are you licensed? What kind of equipment do you use? What are your expenses? What is your mother's maiden name? What is your shoe size? What makes you think you can make it in this business? I see people like you come and go every year. Here, let me give you a two hour lecture on how to run a business."

I do smaller residential lots (less than 1/3 acre). The typical price range around here seems to be $20-40, with most in the $25-35 range. You need to know your expenses to know if you can afford to charge in that range and to know where in that range you want to be.
Its funny how you mention all that because when i was approached like that with another person that is exactly what i asked him and he was thankful for the insight.