Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 06-12-2005, 08:31 PM
LawnSite Member

Labor rates on Site

I am thinking about putting my labor rates on my website. Listing what services cost and what our bidding/labor rate is based on. I think this is unpopular in general as most do not want to "scare" people away. I want to scare some people away and I think this may be a way to qualify people that shop me through our site, thus I may not waste time with as many tire kickers in the future. Most cst's go to our site before contacting me. Whadya think?
Old 06-12-2005, 10:25 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I wouldn't do it. Part of getting the job is meeting the customer in person and selling yourself/your company. You may eliminate a lot of customers just based on you price before you can even make a sales pitch.

On the other hand you can weed out a lot of people that may be only looking for a cheap price.

Bill
Old 06-12-2005, 11:47 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I agree with DLS..

I put an ad in one of the yellow pages here with part of the text including " If you are simply looking for the cheapest lawn care company in town, please do not call us. If you are looking for reliable service and breath-taking results and aren't afraid to spend alittle extra for elite property maintenance, call Quality Lawn Care today"

Its amazing how much my phone stopped ringing after that one... No more price shoppers, leaves more relax time for me.. Instead of going out and quoting 30 jobs a day when 29 of them are going to go with the cheapest contractor..
www.qualitylawncare.biz
Serving Western New York since 1998.

"Everyone has bad breaks but everyone also has opportunities. I think luck is the sense to recognize an opportunity and the ability to take advantage of it..." -Samuel Goldwyn
Old 06-14-2005, 11:21 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by qualitylandscaping
Its amazing how much my phone stopped ringing after that one... No more price shoppers, leaves more relax time for me.. Instead of going out and quoting 30 jobs a day when 29 of them are going to go with the cheapest contractor..
I thought the purpose of advertising was to get people to call, not to stop people from calling? If you REALLY agreed with DLS then you would be saying that you find it beneficial to meet the potential customers in person to give them a sales pitch to try to talk them into spending more than they previously wanted to have their lawn cut.

I for one, agree with making your baseline prices for services known (whether it be early in a conversation, or on your website) cause if your price is good then it will attract some, it will also eliminate some of the anxiety of calling somebody and having them visit and give a sales pitch when it is more than they want to pay, it will filter the people who aren't willing to pay a reasonable price.

I think on-site free estimates are a waste of time and money, unless you are already on-site or next door when asked. I've been giving my last few estimates over the phone based on size and description and always with a disclaimer that I will do the first cut at the estimated price if no major details were left out (ex. 12" grass) and the final price for continued service may change based on other details that were not discussed. I like doing it this way cause it has saved me from wasting alot of time. If somebody is going to be afraid to pay my price then I shouldn't waste any time driving to talk to them.

As a customer for other services, I don't appreciate getting the sales pitch. For example if I want to buy a truck that meets specific criteria, I don't want a sales guy telling me why I should spend more, and why I should buy from them and not somebody else. I will go someplace else and if I realize that my criteria and my price were unreasonable, then I will go back to the one that had the truck that came closest to all of my criteria. I will tell you one thing, a dealership that tries the hard-sell tactics will not get my business and I will avoid them like the plague forever. I will to go to the dealer ship that let me know the price early, and let me do the talking/asking, politely disscussed and answered, and let me have my space to decide for myself.
Old 06-14-2005, 11:55 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

a couple yrs ago, i advertised for leaf cleanup. i got about 7-10 calls every day for estimates. i got tired of running around doing estimates, so i changed the messege on the machine to" you have reached xyz landscaping. we will be providing leaf cleanup from october - dec 15th. we do not give estimates. our rate is $65 per hour. if you wish to be scheduled, leave your name and number." i went from getting 7-10 messeges a day, to ZERO MESSEGES a day.
Old 06-14-2005, 02:37 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

So you all wanna not get any calls and not get any work ??? i can see doing some weeding but seems like you go from 10 to none how is that good ???
Old 06-14-2005, 05:11 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd's lawncare
So you all wanna not get any calls and not get any work ??? i can see doing some weeding but seems like you go from 10 to none how is that good ???
it's not good, my point was simply that quoting hourly rates in advance will get you no work, dig?
Old 06-14-2005, 06:54 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbygedd
it's not good, my point was simply that quoting hourly rates in advance will get you no work, dig?
Oh yea i dig . But some times if you put it blunt to them they like it better well this man is a real business man not some Joe blow tryin to make enough for a 30 pack . My rate is my rate like it or not . And i will never post them on a fayer or website what if its a 60 hour job and hills that you can't even walk do you still wanna do it for 65 an hour that will weed out the bad apples but also drag in the bad pears that got a pain in the job and will get it done cheap . DO YOU DIG ??????????
Old 06-14-2005, 08:32 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

no, i don't dig
Old 06-14-2005, 09:14 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd's lawncare
Well because I get tired of all that crap, too... I used to get 3-4 calls/day and now I get 3-4 / week, but you know what? No low-balling, crying, whiny arse cheapos - MOST of my callers now are interested and they know what it's about. So no more 10/day when 9 of them say no anyhow. Too much wasted time.

In my case the ad doesn't do it, but the answering machine does (specifically, the tone of the message, not what but how you say it).

The only other thing I know of that works REAL good is when you get a TON of calls for Leaves (*&%^ !!!), go out for your own amusement and quote high prices left and right. That's what I did last fall and the results last into spring - No more bs, no more going out and giving 10 estimates for every 1 yes, man I hated that. Now it's back to 1 out of 2 and better.