Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 06-13-2005, 07:08 PM
LawnSite Member

Help with Contract

Hello,
I'm brand-new to this business and have only been doing lawn maintenance for 2 months. I've only been doing residential yards. I do the lawn work and bill my customers at the end of each month.

Anyway, here's my problem. I found a guy that buys and sells real estate. He has 15-20 yards at a time and wants me to maintain them. He wants me to create a contract for him tomorrow. My question is how do I create a contract for multiple yards that will never be the same yards? I have no experience in contracts and have no idea what to put in the contract. Should I have set prices for each yard without even seeing them first? Should I have one giant price for maintaining 15 to 20 yards? How does this work? Please help.

Thanks in advance,
Jason
Old 06-13-2005, 09:35 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

If he was wanting a contract I wouldn't build prices into the contract. I would just include payment terms and general rules. If you do decide to include prices, then I would do it by sq. ft. range.
“Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victor nor defeat.”

-Theodore Roosevelt
Old 06-14-2005, 10:34 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason159753
Hello,
I'm brand-new to this business and have only been doing lawn maintenance for 2 months. I've only been doing residential yards. I do the lawn work and bill my customers at the end of each month.

Anyway, here's my problem. I found a guy that buys and sells real estate. He has 15-20 yards at a time and wants me to maintain them. He wants me to create a contract for him tomorrow. My question is how do I create a contract for multiple yards that will never be the same yards? I have no experience in contracts and have no idea what to put in the contract. Should I have set prices for each yard without even seeing them first? Should I have one giant price for maintaining 15 to 20 yards? How does this work? Please help.

Thanks in advance,
Jason
My personal advice is either get someone experienced to help you, or stay away from it cauz you can get skru'd. I was told it is a very bad idea to get into contracts in the first few years but that could be wrong, what I do know is contracts do NOT turn me on and I've never done one and yes you can still get commercial props w/out contracts (verbal only, charge per cut).

So if contracts turn you on, then look into it, otherwise do what else you do.
Old 06-17-2005, 12:12 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Hi Jason159753,

If you need further business advice feel free to ask our business consultant.