Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 06-20-2005, 11:49 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Went by today to take care of a few odds and ends (and to take pics).

Then all of a sudden, I got paid
Old 06-21-2005, 11:21 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Another great reason to take tons of pics with the digital camera for every job you get. With those photos and the photos taken after the work was done as well as a signed contract you have no problems with a judge. Remember folks to ALWAYS take a pic of a job BEFORE you do it. Lawyers and Judges will love you for it.

Eating up the competition!
Old 06-22-2005, 01:38 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keth
Another great reason to take tons of pics with the digital camera for every job you get. With those photos and the photos taken after the work was done as well as a signed contract you have no problems with a judge. Remember folks to ALWAYS take a pic of a job BEFORE you do it. Lawyers and Judges will love you for it.
Yes the BEFORE pics I forgot this time but I also found another bonus:

Looking at the pics on my home pc afterwards gave me a different look at the job and I will definitely go back and straighten up a few things that I could not see from the yard's perspective... Weird that I didn't see the imperfections while standing right there, but true.

IF the customer sees you do it, it actually impresses them most the time they realize you are NUTS about this job.

And, one or two of the pics are always good for a future Web site.

Digicams rule, even if it's a cheapo point-and-click webcamera.
Old 06-22-2005, 07:35 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Give them 2 more weeks, if no payment, send a notice that a lien will be placed on them. Once they pay, drop their sorry ass.
989-277-9064 (cell)
Old 06-22-2005, 08:56 PM
LawnSite Member

With that amount could you ask for a down payment ? That way you could atleast cover materials and such even if they refuse to pay the rest.
I worked with a roofing co. and I saw both sides. Sometimes the customer has every right to be unhappy and other times they are trying to get soemthign for nothing!
Old 06-22-2005, 09:09 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by topsites
Lots of stuff...
grass-cuts, yds of mulch, brush-clearing, etc, etc...

Not that they haven't paid for anything, so far they've paid 145 bucks but kept adding things on in fast succession so balance due is 575, hence my nervousness... That and he told me a week ago he sent 90 more bucks in the mail but I never saw that.

AND they haven't done the 'I'm not satisfied' but I see it coming and thought I'd get a head start for this one. It IS my own fault for leaving myself open like that, but at the same rate that gives them NO right to just take advantage of it, either.

Quote:
Went by today to take care of a few odds and ends (and to take pics).

Then all of a sudden, I got paid

So, let's see............
They never really complained quite the way your first post makes it sound, they did pay you some money as the job was moving along, AND, now you've been paid.

Did I miss anything here?
Apparently I have, 'cause I'm not getting it..........
Old 06-22-2005, 10:12 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvmcmrhp52
So, let's see............
They never really complained quite the way your first post makes it sound, they did pay you some money as the job was moving along, AND, now you've been paid.

Did I miss anything here?
Apparently I have, 'cause I'm not getting it..........
No, it turns out as a good experience, I learned a lot from it and will always carry the webcam with me from now on.

I deja-vu'd and freaked a little when something didn't click quite right. I've been skru'd before and this was a scenario where it could've easily happened again, and sometimes I think I see something coming and better prepared than sorry so I thought I'd get a head start *just* in case but in the end the guy paid up (and handsomely, paid for 4 extra grass-cuts in advance) but it doesn't always work out like that!

From time to time (as is the case here), I leave myself wide open. I don't mean to do it, but happen it does. Last fall I had a similar scenario and didn't see that until about 2/3'rds of the way through the job and that's the problem: Now the customer HAS the opportunity to skru you, and some of them JUMP all over that. Yeah well the guy last fall sure did, I lost several hours of labor because of it - About 120 dollars worth I had to eat in order to finish the job so I could collect the 180 left over (now that picture clarifies things a bit). And just to really tick me, the guy last year was all like 'well you did such a good job, here's 10 dollars extra as a tip.' You wanna talk mad.

The good news is, this type of situation cuts the bs around the trust issue real fast: If they DO skru you, you're done with them and maybe it's good it happened right off the bat (I like it that way). But, if they did NOT jump on the opportunity (whether they saw it or not), that makes a BIG difference to me and I always stick to those guys like they're my best friends in the world (yes, for not taking advantage of me when they had the chance).

See here's the thing:
When you leave yourself open, it means the customer HAS the opportunity to take advantage of you. Not all of them do it, but more than a few will! And when you realize you've left yourself in this situation, well I dunno about you but it makes me VERY nervous.

In the end, this one turned out and right now the only problem I have is a small-amount bounced check from someone else (totally unrelated). Overall this year has been good, only 175 dollars in unpaid/non-payment issues out of a gross of almost 17k so far - 1% or less, just the way I like it.