Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 06-28-2005, 09:15 AM
LawnSite Member

Blowing Bulbs

I have my entire personal house landscaped with lights in front and back. I can remember the exact brand of lighting but I got them from Sam's Club about 3 years ago. I beleive the name starts with an "L". Anyway, each package came with a photo-eye sensor transformer that automatically turns the lights on at dusk and back off in the morning. Now, in the front, I had a lot more lights than the transformer could handle so I decided to purchase a larger transformer from Lowes for the front. The lights aren't quite as bright but they are fine and no bulbs get blown in the front. Now, in the back, I have 3 different locations with 3 separate photo-eye transformers. All three areas have blown every bulb. It doesn't happen all at once but over time. Thing is, I don't have even close to the maximum wattage for each transformer. Also, the transformers have fuses that are fine but the bulbs are blowing. This is a 12V system and 10 watt lights. Any ideas.
Old 06-28-2005, 08:06 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

The system is 12 volt but are the bulbs? If the bulbs are rated for 12 volts and the transformer is 12 volts you could have just got a hold of some bad bulbs, it happens. Re-check the voltage on the transformer and the rating on the bulbs. Get a test meter and with the bulbs hooked up check the voltage. If you unhook the bulbs and check voltage you may get a higher than nominal reading.