Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 07-03-2005, 01:47 PM
LawnSite Member

My broken belt

I have a 2000 Scag Turf Tiger. Three weeks ago, the belt that runs the hydro pump's broke. Because my dealer is not open on Saturday I got a replacement belt from N.A.P.A., manufactured by Gates. I installed it and it was working well for about three week and it broke. My question is; will a belt that I would buy from an auto part dealer be the correct type to work in the mowing environment? Or do I need to get the factory replacement belt for reliability? Or could I be having a bigger problem with my hydro pumps?
Old 07-03-2005, 08:32 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gator610
I have a 2000 Scag Turf Tiger. Three weeks ago, the belt that runs the hydro pump's broke. Because my dealer is not open on Saturday I got a replacement belt from N.A.P.A., manufactured by Gates. I installed it and it was working well for about three week and it broke. My question is; will a belt that I would buy from an auto part dealer be the correct type to work in the mowing environment? Or do I need to get the factory replacement belt for reliability? Or could I be having a bigger problem with my hydro pumps?
How long had the OEM belt been on your unit ?
OEM'S experiment with different wound belts to determine which type will be the most reliabile. NAPA or Gates belts are what is called a wrapped belt and will not in most cases last as long as a cut edge belt. I'm not familiar with your unit to know what type belt goes on it but if it was a cut edge you should install the same for reliability.
I have found that going from a cut belt to a wrapped on Dixie Choppers just doesn't work very well either.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MannsLawnService View Post
some times the man in my mirror isn't so smart...
"Why go out preserved when you can go out beat up, worn out, sliding in sideways screaming, Holy Sh!t What A Ride" !!!
Old 07-04-2005, 04:07 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Yes a belt from NAPA is fine BUT you need to tell them that it is going on a lawn-mower so they can give you an Agricultural belt instead of an automotive one. Ag belts have reinforced threads and are a lot stronger because automotive belts as a rule, once on - always on, where with ag belts they are designed to be engaged and disengaged (which auto belts do NOT do) and thus ag belts put up with a LOT more abuse.

Napa is a lot cheaper than the dealer - My transmission belt is 20 bucks from the dealer, 12 bucks from Napa but again - It is an ag. belt. The way I learned is the same way I just outlined: I put an automotive belt on the mower the first time because I failed to inform them it was going on a mower, and it broke within 30 days, hehehe...

If you DID get an ag belt and it broke, then I dunno...
Old 07-04-2005, 07:43 AM
LawnSite Member

The OEM belt was on for 5 years and I should have replaced it earlier during spring inspection. I really prefer using OEM replacement parts, I believe they have been engineered for the application. I used the Gates belt out of desperation. Thanks for your information.
Old 07-04-2005, 08:33 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
The OEM belt was on for 5 years and I should have replaced it earlier during spring inspection. I really prefer using OEM replacement parts, I believe they have been engineered for the application. I used the Gates belt out of desperation. Thanks for your information.
As you found out,In a bind they work fine for a while,But you can't beat a OEM belt.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MannsLawnService View Post
some times the man in my mirror isn't so smart...
"Why go out preserved when you can go out beat up, worn out, sliding in sideways screaming, Holy Sh!t What A Ride" !!!