Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 07-01-2005, 08:47 AM
LawnSite Member

My father and I

I am in biz with my father. He and I have been doing long grass for what seems like forever. My grandfather started this biz years ago and did pretty well, he fell sick and would not let anyone mow for him. "If I can't do it no-one will" he said. Well he past away 13-14 years ago and left almost no contracts. Maybe 3-4 thousand dollars per year I think. We all go stuborn I guess. My father would work through the week and mow on the weekends. He started getting more and more biz, he says it took 4-5 years before people knew of the company and would call from recommendations. Almost all of our friends are in the long grass business. About 5 years past my dad had a major stroke and now he does not get along so well. Still he gets up at 3:30 am every morning gets the rig and heads out to mow. So early as to get to the site by sunrise and avoid all or most of the traffic. I mow on the weekends and on my vacation time or holidays so to give him a break. I was able last year to get a few commercia short grass accounts, my dad says you'll never get me to mow shortgrass. So I have been doing them on my own. This year he complains that the long grass is getting harder to get as the properties we service are mostly for sale. I ran across a great deal on some Hustler ZTR's and now hea tells me " Man I can mow alot of my properties with the Hustlers, they sure are great mowers." He is still stuborn and loves to pull that Giant rig around, but he lets it slip every now and then get more commercial shortgrass accounts son, its easier on me to get on and off the Hustler and I don't have to drag that rig around." I think a little has to do with the fact that he wrecked that rig a few months back and it shook him up. Well now I am in school to try and get my irrigation contractors license so we can repir the systems on the properties we have now and maybe install in the future. My dad wants to get the backflow inspection license so that he can do the annual inspections and repairs. Easier on the old guy. LOL We are located in the West Houston area and hope to meet others in the industry. We want to be able to have people in the biz to give work to and get work from. We have a few commercial builders that we do business with and sometimes what is needed to be done we can't handle and don't have anyone to refer. Don't like to loose customers because we are too small, but have no-one to work with. I am sure that if we just keep chugging away it will come. I have started a web site www.consolidatedmaintenance.com not much but its a start. Thanks for reading my story, I have enoyed reading the ones posted from others. Good luck to all.
Old 07-01-2005, 05:21 PM
LawnSite Member

only cuts long grass and not short grass???
Old 07-05-2005, 07:57 AM
LawnSite Member

long grass

As I know long grass is (acreage) Grass 3-6 feet tall usually done 10 times per year, short grass is finish turf usually serviced weekly or bi-weekly.
Old 07-08-2005, 05:31 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by skurkp
As I know long grass is (acreage) Grass 3-6 feet tall usually done 10 times per year, short grass is finish turf usually serviced weekly or bi-weekly.

Makes sense, thanks.