Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 07-16-2005, 11:41 PM
LawnSite Member

Small quantities

Why is it that my distributer can't get me what I want unless I get it in a pallet quantity. I've been using Lebanon products for 14 years, and it's only been the last 3 years that I can't get 10 or 20 bags of something specific for my current needs. I now have to comprimise and usually take something "close" instead of getting what I really want. I realize that distributers can't handle every product, that's understood, but why did you stop the custom picking of orders? I realize as a company grows you have to be efficient, but this puts a little hurtin' on us little guys. My point is that I don't want to tie up a thousand dollars or more just so I can get 8 bags of a specific product, and let it sit around until next year. I don't have the capital or the space for that type of an operation.Thank you for your time
Old 07-17-2005, 01:00 PM
Sponsor

Small Quantities

JWS3;

Thanks for your question. Due to the increasing costs of raw materials and freight we have been making changes over the last several years to keep your cost as competitive as possible. One of those changes was to eliminate less than pallet orders to our dealers and distributors.

The role of the dealer or distributor is to stock products so that you, the end user can purchase what you need when you need it. Unfortunately it is not a perfect system because it is impossible for the dealer to stock every product all the time. They too must choose where to invest in inventory so they can service the majority of customers. I would presume you are using a product that is not widely used by your peers, therefore the dealer is special ordering it for you?

You might want to do a sanity check to see if the product is very similar to another product that the dealer does stock. I will be glad to work with you to compare products if you need help. You can also call our customer care at 800.233.0628 and give them the product name. They can tell you who in your area might stock it.

Regards

Ray
Old 07-18-2005, 12:01 PM
LawnSite Member

Thank you for your prompt reply, BUT here's the kicker. I deal with Leiby's in Lebanon ,Pa. They go right to the plant to pick it up, so freight is not an issue. It was nice when I could call them up to get some of this and some of that. I don't know how they rate as far as size of your distributers, but it's also hard for him to invest a thousand dollars so I can have 8 bags, nor do I expect him to. I like Pro Scape homogenous products, they cost a little more, but work great. Most people don't want to pay for it. I did try Mesa on my own property this year, but then we hit the dry spell, so it wasn't a fair comparison.I WILL still continue to use Lebanon products, but it isn't as nice a situation as it used to be.
Thanks
Jim
Old 07-18-2005, 12:36 PM
Sponsor

JWS3.

I'm glad you are savvy enough to realize the value in a better product. The ProScape homogeneous products are certainly among the best available for the landscape. The reason we put MESA in the ProScape line is because the performance has been so good that it fits into the premium brand, even through it is in blended products. Get a few friends to try what you're using? I'm sure Doug will stock the product if he suddenly has several customers for it.

Regards

Ray